Date: 5/21/20 5:01 pm
From: Scott Tuthill <satuthill...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] [eBird Alert] Ada County Rare Bird Alert
Jay -- I am going to challenge you on this one a bit - though I will offer a caveat. I have lived in the Highlands area of Boise for 25+ years. So, not out in the "valley"  but not "up in the hills". For where I live Evening Grosbeaks are regular in small numbers just about year round and every year. If I work out in the yard for a couple of hours any month of the year I can just about guarantee to have a flyover of a small number - one to three or so. The "irruption" last fall just seemed pretty normal to me. So, now that I am putting more and more of my sightings into eBird it just seems odd to constantly have to enter comments in for them because they are "Rare". I have come to accept that where I live has its differences than the valley as a whole. For several years there was a resident flock of Red Crossbills in the neighborhood. I have had Rosy-Finches and Pine Grosbeaks around the house in winter. I don't expect them in other part of the area any more than I expect Common Yellowthroats or Willow Flycatchers around here. So, the question is how do you recognize the diversity of whatever area eBird is using (which is what by the way?) without a bias due to population and reporting distribution. Again, I am not sure of the area used in eBird but it seems odd that Grasshopper Sparrow is marked as Infrequent with Evening Grosbeak as Rare. I think of the former as having a very small local distribution for a few months of the year. I am willing to be part of the solution here -- not just be a grouch. Just let me know what I can do.