Date: 5/20/20 7:51 pm
From: bike4birds <tmccabe9...>
Subject: [IBLE] Damp birding
If you live anywhere near Boise, you know that today was a little "damp."
For some reason, I thought maybe the birds would just ignore the rain and
parade around for me. As it turns out, I had to repeatedly find dry places
(few and far between on the greenbelt) to clean my bino lenses and even my
glasses. Eventually the water wore me down and I headed home, but I managed
45 birds in about 10 miles. Highlights included my FOY Willow Flycatcher and
FOY MacGillivray's Warbler. Western Tanagers were EVERYWHERE. My
conservative estimate would be 40 to 50 individuals that I actually saw,
plus others that I heard.

As some of you are aware, I am afflicted with a condition that is probably
familiar to all of you: BADD, better known as "Birders Attention Deficit
Disorder." This is when any motion in the trees, in the sky, on the ground,
attracts your undivided attention, even when you're in the midst of a
serious conversation. Because of my BADD, I was constantly swiveling my head
today, but only because every leaf in Boise was being hit by water and
therefore moving. It was sensory overload. Plus, every swallow in Idaho was
flying around my route, overwhelmingly dominated by a gazillion VG Swallows.
It was like being inside a snow globe that someone was constantly shaking.

Of course, I can't wait to get out again tomorrow.

Tom McCabe, Boise

P.S. The various weather reports indicate we set a new record for
precipitation for this date in Boise. I believe it!