Date: 5/20/20 9:35 am
Subject: Re: no more nighthawks
Birds of the World has this to say about distraction displays for Common
Nighthawks:

Seven types of responses described for distraction displays of an
individual when flushed from the nest (Gramza 1967
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/comnig/cur/references*REF8056__;Iw!!OToaGQ!7kytXb4LAgiPp6KCiXjB7o3JEPmqXBiRU8VLYEZXxlS9rp9OKzs58Qjel0w1qT1Vtp8$ >):
leaves field of vision, flies about nest area, settles in sight of
intruder, settles in sight of intruder and droops wings, settles in sight
of intruder and holds wings outstretched, settles in sight with
outstretched wings and lunges toward intruder, or does not flush (*n* = 11
nests). Shortest flushing distances and responses of maximum
conspicuousness occur at and shortly after hatching. Brooding birds flush
toward and settle in areas to sides of and behind intruder. Parents do not
flush easily (2–4 m; RMB), probably relying on cryptic coloration to elude
detection.

If you subscribe to the site, here's the link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/comnig/cur/behavior*sex__;Iw!!OToaGQ!7kytXb4LAgiPp6KCiXjB7o3JEPmqXBiRU8VLYEZXxlS9rp9OKzs58Qjel0w1SSX0uWQ$

--
Norm Budnitz
Orange County