Date: 5/20/20 8:34 am
Subject: Re: no more nighthawks
Hello,

Common nighthawks here in Hyde Co. as usual. See and hear them from late
April through early summer (unsure where they nest) and then again in late
July when they feed above the soybean fields. Last summer I was delighted
to watch them feeding in early evenings above my blooming pollinator beds
(not sure if they're beds or small meadows - scattered plantings about 0.1
- 0.2 acre each). One of my favorite birds.

Kelly Davis
Swan Quarter, NC

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:50 AM <scompton1251...> wrote:

> Birders,
>
> I found Common Nighthawk in their usual location downtown Greenville,SC a
> few days ago. They are easily found along Main Street all summer long here.
> I will monitor to see if there might be a decline as the summer progresses.
>
> Steve Compton
> Greenville,SC

> Sent: Wednesday May 20 2020 8:14:22AM
> Subject: Re: no more nighthawks
>
> Chris et al.,
>
> Thanks for this interesting discussion on Nighthawks. I don't have
> extensive experience with them, but I wanted to share an observation. On
> the several occasions I have visited the Aiken Gopher Tortoise Heritage
> Preserve in Aiken Co., SC (at various times from spring through summer), I
> have seen multiple Nighthawks in various phases of their breeding cycle.
> This is a tract managed for what I would describe as a longleaf pine
> "scrubland"--not the classic longleaf-wiregrass savanna, but open longleaf
> with a scrubbier, sandier floor. It still supports Red-cockaded Woodpeckers
> and Bachman's Sparrows--the longleaf associates. Nighthawks seem to thrive
> there. Last week I observed an adult pair with what appeared to be a
> juvenile (I would appreciate any thoughts based on the photos and
> observations as described in my checklist, here:
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S68992572__;!!OToaGQ!4pHgrIRmv6oBlkAvLKaPcON0kASj7DDCKvjbOec_qml1w1eOXTGzyctDF3OIDAvPEUI$>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S68992572__;!!OToaGQ!6y82VcJS9j5YG0bmLGIw0GvGTFLG95Gi5elG-WJqfErQAr6nmC9U9ygtTB_6lmkmQh8$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S68992572__;!!OToaGQ!9qSj-JMJZs4aFM65oRUP1uWNyypaIx00_tbKfh88gWDCFeR3mq0o_4N0la-sd4zaWCI$>
> ).
>
> Are Nighthawks perhaps one of the many species dependent in part, in the
> southeast, on the open landscapes provided by longleaf savannas, which we
> all know have been reduced to a tiny fraction of their previous extent?
>
> Kevin Kubach
> Greenville, SC
>
> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Parkin Hunter <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> I have been wondering about the loss of rock roofs also. There are almost
>> none at Garden City now. When my father built my house in 1962 they were
>> everywhere (I am an offender.) The dock next to me had a flat, rock roof
>> that the birds used to break things open. Gone now.
>>
>> Parkin Hunter
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> > On May 20, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Christopher Hill (via carolinabirds
>> Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>> >
>> > I’ve been living in Conway, SC near Coastal Carolina University since
>> 1999 and every spring the nighthawks come back, and by late April, when I
>> take my ornithology class on an all day field trip, I always hear the
>> nighthawks calling over campus as I wait for the students to show up for
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!