Date: 5/20/20 7:50 am
From: <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: no more nighthawks

Birders,
I found Common Nighthawk in their usual location downtown
Greenville,SC a few days ago. They are easily found along Main Street
all summer long here. I will monitor to see if there might be a
decline as the summer progresses.
Steve ComptonGreenville,SC

Sent: Wednesday May 20 2020 8:14:22AM

Chris et al.,
Thanks for this interesting discussion on Nighthawks. I don't have
extensive experience with them, but I wanted to share an observation.
On the several occasions I have visited the Aiken Gopher Tortoise
Heritage Preserve in Aiken Co., SC (at various times from spring
through summer), I have seen multiple Nighthawks in various phases of
their breeding cycle. This is a tract managed for what I would
describe as a longleaf pine "scrubland"--not the classic
longleaf-wiregrass savanna, but open longleaf with a scrubbier,
sandier floor. It still supports Red-cockaded Woodpeckers and
Bachman's Sparrows--the longleaf associates. Nighthawks seem to thrive
there. Last week I observed an adult pair with what appeared to be a
juvenile (I would appreciate any thoughts based on the photos and
observations as described in my checklist, here:
[1]https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S68992572__;!!OToaGQ!9qSj-JMJZs4aFM65oRUP1uWNyypaIx00_tbKfh88gWDCFeR3mq0o_4N0la-sd4zaWCI$ [2]).
Are Nighthawks perhaps one of the many species dependent in part, in
the southeast, on the open landscapes provided by longleaf savannas,
which we all know have been reduced to a tiny fraction of their
previous extent?
Kevin KubachGreenville, SC
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Parkin Hunter wrote:
I have been wondering about the loss of rock roofs also. There are
almost none at Garden City now. When my father built my house in 1962
they were everywhere (I am an offender.) The dock next to me had a
flat, rock roof that the birds used to break things open. Gone now.

Parkin Hunter

Sent from my iPad

Mailing List) wrote:

> I’ve been living in Conway, SC near Coastal Carolina
University since 1999 and every spring the nighthawks come back, and
by late April, when I take my ornithology class on an all day field
trip, I always hear the nighthawks calling over campus as I wait for
the students to show up for the 7 am van ride to the coast. In the
evenings I hear them over our house and when we go for walks, and at
the local Food Lion parking lot. But not this year. They never showed
up, for the first time I can remember. Maybe it’s that a gravel
rooftop they nested on was upgraded to rubber membrane and they
couldn’t find a nearby replacement, or maybe it’s a small local
piece of the overall decline in nightjars and in aerial insectivores
generally, but even though I’m not yet sure it’s a permanent, I
thought I would note the disappearance here.

> Chris Hill
> Conway, SC

Links:
------