Date: 5/20/20 7:44 am
Subject: Re: no more nighthawks
Common Nighthawks seem to have disappeared as a breeding species in
Raleigh, North Carolina. Twenty years ago we used to consistently find them
flying over downtown Raleigh at several locations during the summer, but we
have not seen them for at least the last five years. There are still a
number of flat-roofed buildings with gravel, including those where we
suspect they were nesting (based on observation of courtship displays), so
nesting opportunities doesn't seem to be the problem. Fewer insects,
possibly; but some of us suspect increased predation from an increasing
population of Cooper's Hawk and Fish Crow in the urban setting might have
done them in. But who knows?
The sound of nighthawks used to be a part of the experience of dining out
on a summer's evening. You don't know what you've got til its gone. Sad.
John Connors
Raleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!