Date: 5/20/20 7:34 am
Subject: Re: no more nighthawks
Thanks, Chris. An adult using distraction was my first impression and my
other theory, but the thing that threw me off was that the other two adults
appeared to be tightly associated with the bird I flushed on the ground.
Before and after I flushed the ground bird, the adults were associating
with that particular area when they had thousands of acres of other
appropriate habitat to use. They were already flying around that particular
spot, perching in the pines and giving what I now perceive as alarm calls
(heard in the recordings...not the "wheer" calls but the others?); after I
flushed the other bird, they continued to stay nearby, calling and
perching, and even "zeroing in" on the flushed bird several minutes later
after it had flown about 75 yards away to a different spot. I don't know
what kind of social networks Nighthawks form, but maybe they just didn't
like me threatening their buddy?

I haven't had a chance to research their breeding cycle to see if the
timing even makes sense for that to have been a juvenile; nor have I been
able to determine this by its plumage (nor qualified...just a fish guy who
really likes birds).

Kevin

Join us on Facebook!