Date: 5/19/20 12:40 pm
Subject: Red Knots on Ocracoke
Last Thursday (May 14, 2020) while surveying several miles of Ocracoke
beach, I estimated there were at least one thousand Red Knots. They were
feeding in several large flocks. I pass this on since I've been reading how
scarce they are in Delaware Bay. Apparently, in addition to the
excessive harvesting from years' past, according to one news source
from New Jersey, the cool water has kept the horseshoe crabs from
spawning.
Hopefully, they are finding a lot of sustenance on the Outer Banks that
will help them on their long journey north.
/Peter Vankevich

Join us on Facebook!