Date: 5/19/20 7:22 am
Subject: RE: Dunlin, Crabtree
As Harry said, things are dynamic out there.

Recall that shorebirds will and do migrate during the day, the weather is not as big a deal to them as might be considered, and the local Bald Eagle loves to fly over occasionally and scare up most of the birds. Some come back, others don’t. About 9:55 all the birds lifted up, and while the Dunlin (about 58 I believe) came back, the Whimbrel left. The 11 visible on the flat were joined by 2 more in the air (not sure if they came up from somewhere else or were simply flying by, they were higher than the group of 11) for a total of 13.

The Common Tern was nowhere to be seen, but a Black Tern stopped by.

Possibly as impressive as the shorebirds was the flock of swallows. All of the normally occurring species (Bank, Cliff, Rough-winged, Barn, Tree) were about, with decent (for Wake) numbers of Bank.

As the rain continues, the flat will probably become submerged, after which activity might move to the floodplain/open play area if enough puddles form.

Checking my notes, I see that my last Whimbrel in Wake was on almost the same date! That one was 5/20, so this may well be the *right* week for Whimbrels coming through.

Steve Shultz
Apex NC