Date: 5/16/20 6:24 am
From: Gail Straw <gailstraw...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Sandhill Cranes from egg on
Thank you, Maeve! This video is wonderful, and the photos at their website
are also great. I actually was working about a week and a half ago, and
looked up from the computer to see a Sandhill Crane fly low over my back
yard in South Burlington. A very surreal moment!

Loved this!
Thanks again,

Gail Straw
South Burlington

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 8:15 AM maevulus <maevulus...> wrote:

> Good morning - An old high school friend who now lives in Florida has
> put together a video of his neighborhood's resident pair of cranes. I
> debated posting the link because they're not Vermont birds - but they
> are a species that nests and raises young here, and the photos are
> delightful. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/tRNLU0PmDQY
>
> I was somewhat concerned that the lawns look either like artificial turf
> or like grass that's been heavily treated with ChemLawn. I've read about
> the dangers to many kinds of mammals from the stuff that people use to
> make their lawns "beautiful", but does anyone know of any studies about
> young birds and lawn "treatments"? The cranes have raised colts in that
> area for more than twenty years.
>
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Join us on Facebook!