Date: 5/15/20 8:11 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] May 15, 2020: Thetford Center con't
A male rose-breasted grosbeak, eating maple buds, a study in contrast and
simplicity. Like the old joke, *What's black and white and re(a)d all
over?* For
a birder, the answer is grosbeak, not newspaper. Ivory colored bill set in
black face; red breast against a white chest and belly; a black back; a
white rump. Inner tail feathers: black. Outer tail feathers: white. Black
wings with white blotches and bars. And he can sing, sweetly.

On the south end of the pond, a pair of house wrens inspect a cavity in
busted red pine. Male sings, loudly; varying pace between a typewriter—not
my pace; someone who can actually type—and a machinegun, an
uninterrupted explosion of noise.

Phoebes nest-building in the barn. Behind the west-facing barn door: little
brown bat. Might be the same bat I watched last evening troll for insects
above the upper pasture. At the turn of the twenty-first century, we had
ten or twelve behind the door. Now, one . . . becomes a cause for
celebration.vt

Join us on Facebook!