Date: 5/14/20 6:37 pm
Subject: Re: Shorebirds at Lake Crabtree, Raleigh NC
All these birds (except a Stilt Sandpiper) were still present this evening when we departed just before 8:00pm. Numbers varied a bit, but one White-rumped Sandpiper showed well. Afternoon or early evening light is best for viewing from the shoreline on bright days at this location and a scope is a necessity.

Stacy and Natalie Barbour
Raleigh

> Some traffic on the NC RBA text tool this morning that I wanted to cross-pollinate to this list. While nothing rare per se, there are a good number of shorebirds, mainly peeps, at the shallow end of Lake Crabtree today. Hopefully they will stick around for a little while. (Folks may recall that our passerine migrants generally stay put during the day and migrate at night, shorebirds have no qualms about bailing mid-afternoon)
>
> Present at 12:30
>
> Western Sandpiper – at least 1
> Semipalmated Sandpiper – 3-4
> Least Sandpiper – 20+
> White-rumped Sandpiper – 1
> Lesser Yellowlegs – 1
> Solitary Sandpiper – 4ish
> Spotted Sandpiper – 2
> Semipalmated Plover – 1
>
> A Stilt Sandpiper was reported at about 10:30, but not visible at 12:30. Birds can and do walk around the back side of the delta island there, and are thus out of view, so patience, or at least more time than I had before my next Zoom meeting, might reward.
>
> Best,
> Steve Shultz
> Apex, NC

Join us on Facebook!