Date: 5/14/20 10:58 am
Subject: Shorebirds at Lake Crabtree, Raleigh NC
Some traffic on the NC RBA text tool this morning that I wanted to cross-pollinate to this list. While nothing rare per se, there are a good number of shorebirds, mainly peeps, at the shallow end of Lake Crabtree today. Hopefully they will stick around for a little while. (Folks may recall that our passerine migrants generally stay put during the day and migrate at night, shorebirds have no qualms about bailing mid-afternoon)

Present at 12:30

Western Sandpiper - at least 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 3-4
Least Sandpiper - 20+
White-rumped Sandpiper - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Solitary Sandpiper - 4ish
Spotted Sandpiper - 2
Semipalmated Plover - 1

A Stilt Sandpiper was reported at about 10:30, but not visible at 12:30. Birds can and do walk around the back side of the delta island there, and are thus out of view, so patience, or at least more time than I had before my next Zoom meeting, might reward.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC

Join us on Facebook!