Date: 5/13/20 3:02 pm
From: Dennis Kent <dkjtk...>
Subject: RE: Charlotte birds
Dont forget Western Tanager, Lark Sparrow. Shrike, Horned Lark, Cerulean and Swainson's Warbler.Dennis KentIndian TrailSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Ron <waxwing...> Date: 5/13/20 5:08 PM (GMT-05:00) To: <Carolinabirds...> Subject: Charlotte birds Black-billed Cuckoo – two have been found in the last couple of weeks, one at Latta Park and one at Ribbonwalk Nature Preserve. Two evenings ago, one was found near McDowell Prairie in the south end of Mecklenburg County and seen until yesterday evening. This morning, two were seen inside the prairie. It’s possible the one just mentioned was one of those this morning, about 3/4 mile away from the other sighting. So, there have been four, maybe five, seen in Charlotte. Some/most years none are seen.Bay-breasted Warbler – typically easier in the fall, but still not very many. Quite a few have been seen this migration. Four were noted in Latta Park on Sunday, I had two and Jeff Lemon texted about a pair at the same time, so different birds. This is the second time for that many at Latta. They have been seen regularly at other sites. Most springs I don’t see any.Bobolink – usually some seen each spring. This migration, many were seen at several sites. An estimate at one place was 100 birds.Add to this: singing Alder Flycatcher, Yellow Rail (seen by a few, but missed by many, including me), Cattle Egret and an early-March Henslow’s Sparrow. Some of this could be attributed to the current times. Maybe more folks are out birding due to cancelled travel, jobs on hold, or just plain stir crazy from hanging around the house. Whatever the reason, it’s been great.On the flip side.Yellow-rumped Warbler – numbers seem to be down. Typically numerous (too many?) so you have to look through them to find another species. Someone noted that the numbers were down over the winter also, which I hadn’t thought about (I’m afraid that I tend to ignore them).Ron ClarkKings Mtn. NC

Join us on Facebook!