Date: 5/12/20 2:33 pm
Subject: Falls Lake spring bird count results
The 17th Falls Lake Spring Bird Count was held on April 27, 2020 under
mostly clear skies, moderate winds and temperatures ranging from 48-68. 22
observers in 15 parties and one feeder counter tallied our second highest
126 species (average 114, high 130) and our highest total of 5770 total
birds (average 4004).

Most numerous birds were 420 Double Crested Cormorant, 297 Ring-billed Gull
and 242 Northern Cardinal.

FIRST RECORDS: a whopping 3 Sedge wren in a field at Olive Grove game
lands and a Lincoln’s Sparrow in a field at the north end of Beaverdam
Lake, check those fields wow! A count week Marsh Wren was new for the
spring checklist, same spot as the Sedge Wren and all were photographed!

OTHER GOODIES: two parties had Cape May Warbler (2nd count record). Kpark
in the lower lake had our 2nd Gray-cheeked Thrush and a count week Greater
Yellowlegs (2nd). Two parties had Common Raven (3rd record). Bank
Swallow, Blue-winged Warbler, Veery, Bobolink and Baltimore Oriole were
also found.

MISSES: Nothing off A-list but we missed Sharp-shinned Hawk, Caspian Tern,
Whip-poor-will and Common Nighthawk.

Many thanks to everyone who volunteered to count!

Mark your calendars for Falls Lake

Fall count 9/11/2020

Christmas Count 1/4/2021

Spring Count 4/27/2021