Date: 5/11/20 6:59 pm
From: lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [IBLE] Chipping Sparrows
Bill & Larry's recent posts re: numbers of birds was proven this evening. Old habits are hard to break, as I'm an old "Great Backyard Bird Count" observer & record highest numbers of a species seen at one time. This evening, was walking on the place & saw a bird fly up to the top of a sagebrush, a Chipping Sparrow, in full breeding plumage.

As I kept watching, saw 3-4 others. Then, took about 3 steps forward & the ground exploded with Chipping Sparrows flying up. Saw at least 30 in flight. If I had just counted what I saw initially, number would have been off by at least 25.

Point of numbers is well taken. Remember reading a study from Cornell about Chickadees & it was found that for each one seen, there are at least 5 others. So, the 6 I usually spot, means at least 30 individuals are hitting the feeders.

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot