Date: 5/11/20 1:15 pm
Subject: Durham SBC results
The Durham Spring Bird Count was held on Sunday April 26, 2020 under mostly
clear skies, light winds and mild temperatures 54-74. One for the record
books we had record high 24 observers in 14 parties tallied 138 species
(average 117) and 7912 total birds (4,445) led by 941 Double-crested
Cormorant, 308 Northern Cardinal and 260 Red-eyed Vireo.

Highlights were many, new to the new spring checklist were calling Virginia
Rail (4th record) in Little River section, Snowy Egret (2nd) at the Ellerbe
Creek mouth area, Mississippi Kite (3rd) over a backyard near the Eno
River, Warbling Vireo along Panther Creek/hickory hill (1st), Gray-cheeked
Thrush at Eno River boat ramp (1st, but several around this season), and 1
Sedge Wren (3rd) at Flat River Waterfowl Impoundment.

We lit up the “rarer” list with several, admittedly I need to update this
old checklist format and put these on the expected side! Bonaparte’s Gull
(3 parties and pretty plumage), Herring Gull , Red-breasted Merganser (2
parties), Common Loon (4 parties), American Bittern, Northern Harrier (3
parties), Merlin (2 parties), Greater Yellowlegs, Chuck-wills-widow, Bank
Swallow (2 parties), Magnolia, Cape May and Blackburnian Warblers,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (4 parties), Bobolink (2 parties), Rusty Blackbird
and Baltimore Oriole (3 parties).

MISSES: for the second year in a row we missed Rock Pigeon, I checked all
bridges even. And I wont be greedy, but other species shamelessly
undetected this year Hooded Merganser, Northern Bobwhite, American Woodcock
and White-crowned Sparrow.

Many thanks to everyone who volunteered to count!

Mark your calendars for the Durham Christmas Bird Count Dec 20, 2020 and
spring bird count April 25, 2021!

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>