Date: 5/11/20 4:54 am
From: Larry Arnold <larnold47...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] A Change, and default IBLE settings ??

I'm with you, Bill, on under-counts of feeder birds, because a) what we see at one time is just the minimum that are present, but it's a start, b) mark/recapture estimates (e.g., banding) almost always reveal that there are more birds about, c) studies of energetics (food consumption minus losses to thieves) also supports a higher number... but it's a tricky thing to evaluate, re: locals vs. migrants..... for hums, various eggspurts (tisk) have proffered multiples of 3x - 10x over the years, where x is what you might see at any one time... and the larger multiple represents a better estimate of numbers of birds present....so, is this perfectly ambiguous? haha

NOW listening to screech-owl outside my office window, and our local "branchers" (fledged great-horned owls) have dispersed from their home tree, with loud incoherent begging calls nearby

good morning, all

Larry

Cliff, does our current groups.io listserv have a setting we can change? when we hit "reply" many times we might be intending to reply offline to the sender, not to the group..... RL and I have both done this recently, inadvertently reply to the group, whereas the old IBLE default was to the sender I believe. Currently, we have to delete the group reply and enter the sender's email... otherwise the group will receive what is meant as "private offline replies" which might not be suitable reading by our IBLE audience... does this make sense, or am i again being ambiguous?