Date: 5/10/20 11:07 pm
Subject: Bronzed Grackle in Wake Co NC
Hi birders:

I had a striking Common Grackle at my feeders in Cary, Wake Co., NC this afternoon. It was what used to be called the “Bronzed” Grackle when it was considered a separate species. Bronzed and Purple grackles were lumped as the Common Grackle in the 1950s when it was found that there is gene flow between them over a broad front that runs roughly from Pa to LA, as I recall. The Bronzed is a stunning bird with a shiny blue head sharply set off from a brassy bronze back. Birds of the Carolinas says it is a "transient, mostly in the western counties", and Wake Co. seems pretty far east. I have lived at this address for 14 years and have only seen purple grackles before, so this bird really stood out.

Doug Pratt
Cary NC

"Some people have been kind enough to call me a fine artist. I've always called myself an illustrator. I'm not sure what the difference is." - Norman Rockwell

H. Douglas Pratt, Ph. D.
Ornithologist, illustrator, musician
1205 Selwyn Lane
Cary, NC 27511

Research Curator of Birds, Emeritus
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
11 West Jones Street
Raleigh NC 27601

Phone 919-379-1679
Cell phone 919-270-0857 (for travel use only)

Website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.hdouglaspratt.com/index.html__;!!OToaGQ!5bymC-76cq0TaLyByUbDiJLGkt_A1-hDhyshE2mZuP9KgFYofogUlPksnmtEgyPTFCM$

Join us on Facebook!