Date: 5/10/20 3:47 pm
From: Bill Moore <hootowlbill...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] A Change
I’m getting more BH grosbeaks showing up, both males and females and the female RW Blackbirds are here now also. I’m ready for the Evenings to leave, but I think they feature the Tractor Supply Sunflowers.

For anyone Interested the International site Crane Foundation is doing webinars on, wait for it, cranes. Last weeks was on western Sandhills and this week is climate change effects on cranes. Check their web for details.

One thought I have is a belief that feeder watchers way undercount the birds they see. The think the two Mountain Chickadees are the only two in the area while it’s likely a whole lot more are around, but we' unaware of numbers beacuse the speedy guys look the same.

Brian and I have traded emails on this for years. I think he has many more hummers than he thinks whennhe counts feeder visits. The advantage of hummers is ther is little competition for the sugar water in our area and you can measure how much they consume and use factors for rough number counts. I see maybe 30 hummers I think at the feeders in July and August, but the sugar depletion says 400-500 are using my five feeders.

I think think feeder birds are much mjore abudant than we think assuming we count them at our feeders as single individuals , let alone knowing how many of the ornery buggers bypass our offerings.

Bill Moore
Hoot Owl
Inkom