Date: 5/10/20 10:49 am
From: Elinor Osborn <0000037bc09f69f4-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Moose Bog
The lack of spruce grouse is very disturbing. Tom, is there anything we can do to help?
Elinor

Elinor Osborn Photography
1286 Lost Nation Rd
Craftsbury Common VT 05827

802 586-9994
<elinor91...>

http://www.elinorosbornphotography.com

On May 10, 2020, at 1:03 PM, Tom Berriman <blackpoll...> wrote:

I spent 2 hours at Moose Bog this morning, probably the least amount of time
I've ever spent there. Light snow falling, 32 degrees & 4" on ground still
left from the 6"-7" from yesterday with winds of 10-15 mph. Few birds were
vocalizing or moving around but it was surprising to hear a Blue-headed
Vireo singing. The Hermit Thrush were frantically foraging in the few places
where snow was minimal. Yellow-rumped Warblers and a lone Palm Warbler
foraged on top of the moss covered snow. For what I'm not sure.

Thanks to Dave Govatski as we clear and cut any fallen trees from the trail
year round. This winter after a heavy wet snow-fall we spent hours shaking
the trunks of all the Black Spruce we saw bent into 180 degree arcs before
they snapped. There were almost no Spruce Grouse in this area of Wenlock WMA
this past winter. I along with Dave checked for tracks at least 3 times a
week and perhaps only 2 or 3 times found any tracks at all. And weren't sure
which grouse species those tracks belonged to. The trail, to me, has gotten
nosier over the years from what seems like heavier traffic use on route 105.
Also many older trees have been knocked down by winds etc. and this has
opened up some of the natural 'noise block' between the road and trail.

The gravel path from the parking lot to viewing platform has increased the
use of this special place as a place to 'take the dog for a walk', many
unleashed. And of course the deposits dogs leave behind. In winter
Chickadees & Red-breasted Nuthatch now 'pester' visitors for peanuts but as
the spring approaches they have more important things to tend to and so far
it does not appear much harm is done by this 'bird feeding' (although a
biologist may have more reliable information on the cons of this). It also
seems there is an abundance of Red Squirrels, at least this past year and
that may have to do with the cone crop supply but probably not a good idea
to leave 'treats' behind thinking the Canada Jays will like them because the
squirrels are usually the ones who get them. Today it seemed weird to find a
Spruce Grouse in the snow but after all this is the Kingdom.

https://ebird.org/vt/checklist/S68797074

Tom Berriman

Join us on Facebook!