Date: 5/7/20 4:57 am
From: jennifer megyesi <fatroosterfarm...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] VTBIRD Digest - 5 May 2020 to 6 May 2020 (#2020-119)
ian, your bluebird cam is the bomb. com. thank you. jenn

> On May 7, 2020, at 12:00 AM, VTBIRD automatic digest system <LISTSERV...> wrote:
>
> There are 31 messages totaling 1249 lines in this issue.
>
> Topics of the day:
>
> 1. Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition. (6)
> 2. Hair raising tale to share (5)
> 3. May 6, 2020: Thetford Center (3)
> 4. FOY Rose Breasted Grosbeak (2)
> 5. The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ... (6)
> 6. Emerald Lake
> 7. Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition. /Flash (2)
> 8. Pittsford Trails-Cadwell Loop, May 6, 2020
> 9. apologies
> 10. FOY Catbird
> 11. Burlington birds
> 12. [SPAM?:*******] - White-throats
> 13. Rusty blackbirds!
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 08:13:15 -0400
> From: Ian Clark <ian...>
> Subject: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition.
>
> An exciting development this morning!
>
>
>
> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
> Newbury, VT.
>
>
>
> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>
>
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
>
>
> Ian Clark
> PO Box 51
>
> West Newbury, VT 05085
>
> (848) 702-0774
>
> www.IanClark.com <http://www.IanClark.com>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 09:15:11 -0400
> From: Walter Medwid <wmedwid...>
> Subject: Hair raising tale to share
>
> With my hair and beard growing out of control it was time for drastic
> action so my wife got out the electric shears and in moments the problem
> was addressed. The residue of white hair was left on the lawn thinking it
> might be of interest to nesting birds. This morning while heading out to do
> chores in the midst of the white pile was a chickadee loading up its bill
> with a carefully aligned wad of my locks. Recycling at its best.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 09:16:31 -0400
> From: Ruth Coppersmith <coppersmithruth...>
> Subject: Re: Hair raising tale to share
>
> Very cool Walter!
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 9:15 AM, Walter Medwid <wmedwid...> wrote:
>>
>> With my hair and beard growing out of control it was time for drastic
>> action so my wife got out the electric shears and in moments the problem
>> was addressed. The residue of white hair was left on the lawn thinking it
>> might be of interest to nesting birds. This morning while heading out to do
>> chores in the midst of the white pile was a chickadee loading up its bill
>> with a carefully aligned wad of my locks. Recycling at its best.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 09:31:34 -0400
> From: alison wagner <alikatofvt...>
> Subject: Re: Hair raising tale to share
>
> The chickadee must have resembled the Lorax
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Walter Medwid" <wmedwid...>
> To: "Vermont Birds" <VTBIRD...>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 9:15:11 AM
> Subject: [VTBIRD] Hair raising tale to share
>
> With my hair and beard growing out of control it was time for drastic
> action so my wife got out the electric shears and in moments the problem
> was addressed. The residue of white hair was left on the lawn thinking it
> might be of interest to nesting birds. This morning while heading out to do
> chores in the midst of the white pile was a chickadee loading up its bill
> with a carefully aligned wad of my locks. Recycling at its best.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 09:51:03 -0400
> From: Ruth Coppersmith <coppersmithruth...>
> Subject: Re: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition.
>
> Ian, would love to see your bluebird cams but my computer won’t let me. Says I need to update adobe flash player but then won’t let me do it. Would you be able to send them in a different format for me?
> Thanks!
> Ruth C.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Ian Clark <ian...> wrote:
>>
>> An exciting development this morning!
>>
>>
>>
>> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
>> Newbury, VT.
>>
>>
>>
>> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>>
>>
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>>
>>
>> Ian Clark
>> PO Box 51
>>
>> West Newbury, VT 05085
>>
>> (848) 702-0774
>>
>> www.IanClark.com <http://www.IanClark.com>
>>
>>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 10:02:57 -0400
> From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
> Subject: May 6, 2020: Thetford Center
>
> 5:17 a.m. 26 degrees. Cloudless and windless. Frost throughout the wetland
> and pastures. Leaves of red maples, tiny and red, give the woods a ruddy
> complexion, as though trees could blush. Beech leaves unfurling. Ash buds
> swelling.
>
> Two herds of wild turkey calling from opposite ends of the wetland: one
> north, in the lower pasture; the other south, in a clear cut, just above
> the east side of the pond. Gobbling carries in the cold air, the valley
> stereophonic. Three ovenbirds (FOY) screaming in the pines: *teacher,
> teacher, teacher, teacher*. Teachers unresponsive, of course. They all
> self-isolating, online teaching.
>
> A junco on a low branch chipping, pink beak in relief against gray breast.
> A pair of sapsuckers duel twenty-feet apart. One on the resonant roadside
> maple limb, tapping the small, broken terminal end, which is barely bigger
> than he is; the other, up road plays the trunk of a standing dead beech. I
> see them both. They see each other. Preoccupied in their war of wood,
> percussionists are oblivious to me and to the dogs, which tug their
> leashes, wanting to walk. Gray squirrel crosses the road, heads up the
> driveway toward the feeders; dogs tug in another attention.
>
> Last night, I read an article that recently appeared in the journal *Ecology.
> **Topic:* an obscure aspect of migration. *The given: 1)* two billion birds
> cross the Gulf of Mexico twice each year, hemisphere to hemisphere; No
> surprise. *The given: 2)* along the way, thousands, maybe tens of
> thousands, maybe even millions perish. Flocks starve. Exhausted and
> disoriented, others land on the water and can't take off. Still, others fly
> too low and get engulfed by waves, swallowed by an unforgiving sea.
> Flocks hit oil rigs and boats. Still, no surprises. *The crux*, *the* *oddity
> of the article:* newborn tiger sharks wait off the coasts of Alabama and
> Mississippi for hapless migrants. A predictable pulse of protein for babies
> just learning how to hunt. Eleven different species identified in bellies
> of baby sharks: yellow-bellied sapsuckers, swamp sparrows, eastern
> kingbird, common yellowthroats among them. All birds that live in this
> valley. *"Notorious for their dietary breadth," *the authors wrote, tiger
> sharks eat almost anything: alive; dead, inorganic. Feeding with a
> proprietary air. Who knew that a stage in their lives tiger sharks depend
> on the sky to deliver protein. Loren Eisley, simplifying Francis Thompson,
> wrote *One could not pluck a flower without troubling a star*. I'm not sure
> either Eisley or Thompson had songbirds and sharks in mind . . . but it
> fits.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 10:32:42 -0400
> From: Cynthia Seybolt <cynthiavt...>
> Subject: Re: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition.
>
> I have the same problem as Ruth with Adobe Flash. Another format would be
> great, if you can do it.
> Cynthia Seybolt
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:14 AM Ian Clark <ian...> wrote:
>
>> An exciting development this morning!
>>
>>
>>
>> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
>> Newbury, VT.
>>
>>
>>
>> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>>
>>
>> Ian Clark
>> PO Box 51
>>
>> West Newbury, VT 05085
>>
>> (848) 702-0774
>>
>> www.IanClark.com <http://www.IanClark.com>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Cynthia T. Seybolt
> 150 Hawthorn Drive
> Shelburne VT 05482
> (802) 578-8234
> <cynthiavt...>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 15:03:22 +0000
> From: Mike Carlo <mcarlo33...>
> Subject: Re: May 6, 2020: Thetford Center
>
> Just once, I would be thrilled to hear a human school teacher emphatically respond, "I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!" while I was out birding...
> Mike Carlo in Sterling, VA
>
> On Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:03:13 AM EDT, Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> wrote:
>
> 5:17 a.m. 26 degrees. Cloudless and windless. Frost throughout the wetland
> and pastures. Leaves of red maples, tiny and red, give the woods a ruddy
> complexion, as though trees could blush. Beech leaves unfurling. Ash buds
> swelling.
>
> Two herds of wild turkey calling from opposite ends of the wetland: one
> north, in the lower pasture; the other south, in a clear cut, just above
> the east side of the pond. Gobbling carries in the cold air, the valley
> stereophonic. Three ovenbirds (FOY) screaming in the pines: *teacher,
> teacher, teacher, teacher*. Teachers unresponsive, of course. They all
> self-isolating, online teaching.
>
> A junco on a low branch chipping, pink beak in relief against gray breast.
> A pair of sapsuckers duel twenty-feet apart. One on the resonant roadside
> maple limb, tapping the small, broken terminal end, which is barely bigger
> than he is; the other, up road plays the trunk of a standing dead beech. I
> see them both. They see each other. Preoccupied in their war of wood,
> percussionists are oblivious to me and to the dogs, which tug their
> leashes, wanting to walk. Gray squirrel crosses the road, heads up the
> driveway toward the feeders; dogs tug in another attention.
>
> Last night, I read an article that recently appeared in the journal *Ecology.
> **Topic:* an obscure aspect of migration. *The given: 1)* two billion birds
> cross the Gulf of Mexico twice each year, hemisphere to hemisphere; No
> surprise. *The given: 2)* along the way, thousands, maybe tens of
> thousands, maybe even millions perish. Flocks starve. Exhausted and
> disoriented, others land on the water and can't take off. Still, others fly
> too low and get engulfed by waves, swallowed by an unforgiving sea.
> Flocks hit oil rigs and boats. Still, no surprises. *The crux*, *the* *oddity
> of the article:* newborn tiger sharks wait off the coasts of Alabama and
> Mississippi for hapless migrants. A predictable pulse of protein for babies
> just learning how to hunt. Eleven different species identified in bellies
> of baby sharks: yellow-bellied sapsuckers, swamp sparrows, eastern
> kingbird, common yellowthroats among them. All birds that live in this
> valley. *"Notorious for their dietary breadth," *the authors wrote, tiger
> sharks eat almost anything: alive; dead, inorganic. Feeding with a
> proprietary air. Who knew that a stage in their lives tiger sharks depend
> on the sky to deliver protein. Loren Eisley, simplifying Francis Thompson,
> wrote *One could not pluck a flower without troubling a star*. I'm not sure
> either Eisley or Thompson had songbirds and sharks in mind . . . but it
> fits.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 11:07:56 -0400
> From: edgreen3 <edgreen3...>
> Subject: FOY Rose Breasted Grosbeak
>
> Underhill at 900 feet elevation on sunflower seed feeder.Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 11:10:20 -0400
> From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
> Subject: The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ...
>
> ... is back!
> Years ago, two houses were built overlooking the Jericho Center beaver
> pond, both too close and one actually in wetland. A neighbor complained.
> The contractor hadn't applied for or received necessary permits. Legal
> things moved slowly and the houses were completely done before there
> were hearings. One hearing was before the Water Resources Board. People
> had seen me walking back there with binoculars and asked if I happened
> to have a list of birds. Of course I did! During my testimony, when I
> mentioned having seen American Bitterns at the beaver pond on several
> occasions, people on the WR Board stiffened. When? What months of the
> year? Calling? Where exactly on the pond and wetlands? One member of the
> Board explained to the gathering that bitterns are very sensitive to
> light pollution. His follow-up questions to the contractor focused on
> porch lights, spot lights, and yard lights.
> Everything ended with a compromise: the house farthest from the wetlands
> could remain but only with mitigation in the form of a row of cedars and
> a change in outdoor lighting, but the other house had to be either moved
> or removed. It was a financial disaster for the builder, who ended up
> having to dismantle the large dwelling and move it piece by piece.
> The beaver pond had faced an earlier threat: several hundred planned
> "housing units" in the adjacent field. That too ended in a compromise.
> There are a dozen or so houses clustered at one end and the rest of the
> area is owned by that development and open for non-motorized travel.
> Today we visited the beaver pond, as we often do, and listened to - and
> twice saw! - an American Bittern. We also saw and heard so much more.
> The pond and wetlands are a wonderful resource for wildlife and humans
> alike!
> Here's the whole list from today's walk:
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S68491058
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 11:23:19 -0400
> From: Eve Ticknor <edticknor...>
> Subject: Re: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition.
>
> I have the same trouble………….
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 9:51 AM, Ruth Coppersmith <coppersmithruth...> wrote:
>>
>> Ian, would love to see your bluebird cams but my computer won’t let me. Says I need to update adobe flash player but then won’t let me do it. Would you be able to send them in a different format for me?
>> Thanks!
>> Ruth C.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On May 6, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Ian Clark <ian...> wrote:
>>>
>>> An exciting development this morning!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
>>> Newbury, VT.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Ian Clark
>>> PO Box 51
>>>
>>> West Newbury, VT 05085
>>>
>>> (848) 702-0774
>>>
>>> www.IanClark.com <http://www.IanClark.com>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
> Eve Ticknor
> <edticknor...>
>
> Box 2206
> Prescott, On
> K0E 1T0
>
> 24 Birch Ave
> Willsboro, NY
> 12996
>
> "Be thou happy, be thou blest, from thy birth until thy rest.”
> (Quaker blessing)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 15:29:10 +0000
> From: Pamela Coleman <perryfalcon1013...>
> Subject: Emerald Lake
>
> Has anyone heard of or seen how the birding at Emerald Lake has been? Remembering the nice yellow-rump fallouts from recent years. Thanks! Pam
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 11:33:32 -0400
> From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
> Subject: Re: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition.
>
> On 2020-05-06 11:23, Eve Ticknor wrote:
>> I have the same trouble………….
>>
>>> On May 6, 2020, at 9:51 AM, Ruth Coppersmith
>>> <coppersmithruth...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ian, would love to see your bluebird cams but my computer won’t let
>>> me. Says I need to update adobe flash player but then won’t let me do
>>> it. Would you be able to send them in a different format for me?
>>> Thanks!
>>> Ruth C.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>>> On May 6, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Ian Clark <ian...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> An exciting development this morning!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
>>>> Newbury, VT.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ian Clark
>>>> PO Box 51
>>>>
>>>> West Newbury, VT 05085
>>>>
>>>> (848) 702-0774
>>>>
>>>> www.IanClark.com <http://www.IanClark.com>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Eve Ticknor
>> <edticknor...>
>>
>> Box 2206
>> Prescott, On
>> K0E 1T0
>>
>> 24 Birch Ave
>> Willsboro, NY
>> 12996
>>
>> "Be thou happy, be thou blest, from thy birth until thy rest.”
>> (Quaker blessing)
> Me, too.
> Maeve Kim
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 12:34:52 -0400
> From: kfinch <kfinch51...>
> Subject: Re: The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ...
>
> Great story, Maeve!
> -------- Original message --------From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...> Date: 5/6/20 11:10 AM (GMT-05:00) To: <VTBIRD...> Subject: [VTBIRD] The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ... ... is back!Years ago, two houses were built overlooking the Jericho Center beaver pond, both too close and one actually in wetland. A neighbor complained. The contractor hadn't applied for or received necessary permits. Legal things moved slowly and the houses were completely done before there were hearings. One hearing was before the Water Resources Board. People had seen me walking back there with binoculars and asked if I happened to have a list of birds. Of course I did! During my testimony, when I mentioned having seen American Bitterns at the beaver pond on several occasions, people on the WR Board stiffened. When? What months of the year? Calling? Where exactly on the pond and wetlands? One member of the Board explained to the gathering that bitterns are very sensitive to light pollution. His follow-up questions to the contractor focused on porch lights, spot lights, and yard lights.Everything ended with a compromise: the house farthest from the wetlands could remain but only with mitigation in the form of a row of cedars and a change in outdoor lighting, but the other house had to be either moved or removed. It was a financial disaster for the builder, who ended up having to dismantle the large dwelling and move it piece by piece.The beaver pond had faced an earlier threat: several hundred planned "housing units" in the adjacent field. That too ended in a compromise. There are a dozen or so houses clustered at one end and the rest of the area is owned by that development and open for non-motorized travel.Today we visited the beaver pond, as we often do, and listened to - and twice saw! - an American Bittern. We also saw and heard so much more. The pond and wetlands are a wonderful resource for wildlife and humans alike!Here's the whole list from today's walk: https://ebird.org/checklist/S68491058Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 12:44:26 -0400
> From: Nancy PerleeBRISTOL <nperlee...>
> Subject: Re: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition.
>
> My computer also won’t let me see your cam or up
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Ian Clark <ian...> wrote:
>>
>> An exciting development this morning! date my adobe.
>>
>>
>>
>> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
>> Newbury, VT.
>>
>>
>>
>> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>>
>>
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>>
>>
>> Ian Clark
>> PO Box 51
>>
>> West Newbury, VT 05085
>>
>> (848) 702-0774
>>
>> www.IanClark.com <http://www.IanClark.com>
>>
>>
>>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 12:49:43 -0400
> From: Susan Elliott <ovenbird14...>
> Subject: Re: The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ...
>
> A great message about the importance of bird records.
>
> Sue Elliott
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Maeve Kim <maevulus...> wrote:
>>
>> ... is back!
>> Years ago, two houses were built overlooking the Jericho Center beaver pond, both too close and one actually in wetland. A neighbor complained. The contractor hadn't applied for or received necessary permits. Legal things moved slowly and the houses were completely done before there were hearings. One hearing was before the Water Resources Board. People had seen me walking back there with binoculars and asked if I happened to have a list of birds. Of course I did! During my testimony, when I mentioned having seen American Bitterns at the beaver pond on several occasions, people on the WR Board stiffened. When? What months of the year? Calling? Where exactly on the pond and wetlands? One member of the Board explained to the gathering that bitterns are very sensitive to light pollution. His follow-up questions to the contractor focused on porch lights, spot lights, and yard lights.
>> Everything ended with a compromise: the house farthest from the wetlands could remain but only with mitigation in the form of a row of cedars and a change in outdoor lighting, but the other house had to be either moved or removed. It was a financial disaster for the builder, who ended up having to dismantle the large dwelling and move it piece by piece.
>> The beaver pond had faced an earlier threat: several hundred planned "housing units" in the adjacent field. That too ended in a compromise. There are a dozen or so houses clustered at one end and the rest of the area is owned by that development and open for non-motorized travel.
>> Today we visited the beaver pond, as we often do, and listened to - and twice saw! - an American Bittern. We also saw and heard so much more. The pond and wetlands are a wonderful resource for wildlife and humans alike!
>> Here's the whole list from today's walk: https://ebird.org/checklist/S68491058
>> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 13:01:36 -0400
> From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
> Subject: Re: May 6, 2020: Thetford Center
>
> Mike, that would be an interesting change of events, best accomplished
> loudly from a low branch. Please let me know when you encounter such a
> school teacher.
>
> Pura Vida,
> Ted
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 11:03 AM Mike Carlo <
> <000005daa78fa2c0-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> Just once, I would be thrilled to hear a human school teacher
>> emphatically respond, "I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!" while I was out
>> birding...
>> Mike Carlo in Sterling, VA
>>
>> On Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:03:13 AM EDT, Ted Levin <
>> <tedlevin1966...> wrote:
>>
>> 5:17 a.m. 26 degrees. Cloudless and windless. Frost throughout the wetland
>> and pastures. Leaves of red maples, tiny and red, give the woods a ruddy
>> complexion, as though trees could blush. Beech leaves unfurling. Ash buds
>> swelling.
>>
>> Two herds of wild turkey calling from opposite ends of the wetland: one
>> north, in the lower pasture; the other south, in a clear cut, just above
>> the east side of the pond. Gobbling carries in the cold air, the valley
>> stereophonic. Three ovenbirds (FOY) screaming in the pines: *teacher,
>> teacher, teacher, teacher*. Teachers unresponsive, of course. They all
>> self-isolating, online teaching.
>>
>> A junco on a low branch chipping, pink beak in relief against gray breast.
>> A pair of sapsuckers duel twenty-feet apart. One on the resonant roadside
>> maple limb, tapping the small, broken terminal end, which is barely bigger
>> than he is; the other, up road plays the trunk of a standing dead beech. I
>> see them both. They see each other. Preoccupied in their war of wood,
>> percussionists are oblivious to me and to the dogs, which tug their
>> leashes, wanting to walk. Gray squirrel crosses the road, heads up the
>> driveway toward the feeders; dogs tug in another attention.
>>
>> Last night, I read an article that recently appeared in the journal
>> *Ecology.
>> **Topic:* an obscure aspect of migration. *The given: 1)* two billion birds
>> cross the Gulf of Mexico twice each year, hemisphere to hemisphere; No
>> surprise. *The given: 2)* along the way, thousands, maybe tens of
>> thousands, maybe even millions perish. Flocks starve. Exhausted and
>> disoriented, others land on the water and can't take off. Still, others fly
>> too low and get engulfed by waves, swallowed by an unforgiving sea.
>> Flocks hit oil rigs and boats. Still, no surprises. *The crux*, *the*
>> *oddity
>> of the article:* newborn tiger sharks wait off the coasts of Alabama and
>> Mississippi for hapless migrants. A predictable pulse of protein for babies
>> just learning how to hunt. Eleven different species identified in bellies
>> of baby sharks: yellow-bellied sapsuckers, swamp sparrows, eastern
>> kingbird, common yellowthroats among them. All birds that live in this
>> valley. *"Notorious for their dietary breadth," *the authors wrote, tiger
>> sharks eat almost anything: alive; dead, inorganic. Feeding with a
>> proprietary air. Who knew that a stage in their lives tiger sharks depend
>> on the sky to deliver protein. Loren Eisley, simplifying Francis Thompson,
>> wrote *One could not pluck a flower without troubling a star*. I'm not sure
>> either Eisley or Thompson had songbirds and sharks in mind . . . but it
>> fits.
>>
>>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 13:38:16 -0400
> From: Veer Frost <veer.frost...>
> Subject: Re: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition. /Flash
>
> I'm no techie but learned long ago that Flash is a non starter for
> certain browsers both on a/c of security and of competition. Since
> WCAX weather videos don't play without it, I had to solve this. (no
> tv) I have no problem since switching to Firefox, and even that great
> browser sternly asks if I really want to allow Flash to play each time
> I view Ian's videos. Security also advises only download Flash
> directly from Oracle. I would never normally write about such things
> but Ian's videos have captured me utterly and will you, too! A great
> day for the bluebirds today! thanks Ian!
> Veer, Passumpsic NEK
>
> On 5/6/2020 at 12:44 PM, "Nancy PerleeBRISTOL" wrote:My computer also
> won’t let me see your cam or up
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Ian Clark wrote:
>>
>> An exciting development this morning! date my adobe.
>>
>>
>>
>> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
>> Newbury, VT.
>>
>>
>>
>> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>>
>>
>>
>>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>>
>>
>> Ian Clark
>> PO Box 51
>>
>> West Newbury, VT 05085
>>
>> (848) 702-0774
>>
>> www.IanClark.com
>>
>>
>>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 14:13:45 -0400
> From: Marcia Baker <bakermlb...>
> Subject: Re: FOY Rose Breasted Grosbeak
>
> FOY female at feeder yesterday and today. Still awaiting the male.
>
> Marcia in Brownsville
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 11:08 AM, edgreen3 <edgreen3...> wrote:
>>
>> Underhill at 900 feet elevation on sunflower seed feeder.Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 15:06:32 -0400
> From: Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...>
> Subject: Re: Bluebird cam, Wednesday edition. /Flash
>
> I also use Firefox, which always asks if I want to allow FLASH to run.
>
> For Chrome users, I found this (but haven't tested it):
>
> *How to enable Flash in Chrome*
>
> 1. Scroll to the Flash tab.
> 2. Turn off “Block sites from running Flash.”
> 3. Go to a site that requires Flash.
> 4. Find the grey box marked “Click to enable Flash Player.”
> 5. Click the button and then confirm again in the pop-up.
>
> Thanks for the videos!
>
> --Ken Copenhaver
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM Veer Frost <
> <0000038039fb4cf6-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> I'm no techie but learned long ago that Flash is a non starter for
>> certain browsers both on a/c of security and of competition. Since
>> WCAX weather videos don't play without it, I had to solve this. (no
>> tv) I have no problem since switching to Firefox, and even that great
>> browser sternly asks if I really want to allow Flash to play each time
>> I view Ian's videos. Security also advises only download Flash
>> directly from Oracle. I would never normally write about such things
>> but Ian's videos have captured me utterly and will you, too! A great
>> day for the bluebirds today! thanks Ian!
>> Veer, Passumpsic NEK
>>
>> On 5/6/2020 at 12:44 PM, "Nancy PerleeBRISTOL" wrote:My computer also
>> won’t let me see your cam or up
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On May 6, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Ian Clark wrote:
>>>
>>> An exciting development this morning! date my adobe.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> We're watching eastern bluebirds in a box mounted on my deck in West
>>> Newbury, VT.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> http://ian.ianclark.com/bluebirds/bbirds-5-6-2020.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Ian Clark
>>> PO Box 51
>>>
>>> West Newbury, VT 05085
>>>
>>> (848) 702-0774
>>>
>>> www.IanClark.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:10:36 +0000
> From: Susan Elliott <ovenbird14...>
> Subject: Pittsford Trails-Cadwell Loop, May 6, 2020
>
> Several warbler species along the Cadwell Loop in Pittsford today, all singing. We also heard a Bobolink.
> Sue and Marv Elliott
> Pittsford Trails-Cadwell Loop, Rutland, Vermont, US
> May 6, 2020 9:26 AM - 12:24 PM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 2.85 mile(s)
> 44 species
>
> Canada Goose 1
> Wood Duck 2
> Mallard 3
> American Black Duck 2
> Common Merganser 2
> Mourning Dove 4
> Spotted Sandpiper 1
> Great Blue Heron 2
> Northern Harrier 1
> Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
> Downy Woodpecker 4
> Pileated Woodpecker 1
> Warbling Vireo 8
> Blue Jay 3
> American Crow 4
> Black-capped Chickadee 5
> Tufted Titmouse 1
> Northern Rough-winged Swallow 7
> Tree Swallow 4
> Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
> White-breasted Nuthatch 3
> House Wren 1
> Gray Catbird 8
> American Robin 4
> American Goldfinch 14
> Chipping Sparrow 1
> White-throated Sparrow 3
> Song Sparrow 30
> Swamp Sparrow 3
> Eastern Towhee 1
> Bobolink 1
> Baltimore Oriole 1
> Red-winged Blackbird 18
> Brown-headed Cowbird 5
> Common Grackle 5
> Black-and-white Warbler 2
> Common Yellowthroat 2
> American Redstart 1
> Yellow Warbler 5
> Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
> Pine Warbler 2
> Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 3
> Northern Cardinal 6
> Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S68496795
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 15:32:00 -0400
> From: Pat Folsom <pfols...>
> Subject: Re: The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ...
>
> wonderful, Maeve!
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Susan Elliott" <00000032e9152660-dmarc-request...>
> To: "VT Bird" <VTBIRD...>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 12:49:43 PM
> Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ...
>
> A great message about the importance of bird records.
>
> Sue Elliott
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Maeve Kim <maevulus...> wrote:
>>
>> ... is back!
>> Years ago, two houses were built overlooking the Jericho Center beaver pond, both too close and one actually in wetland. A neighbor complained. The contractor hadn't applied for or received necessary permits. Legal things moved slowly and the houses were completely done before there were hearings. One hearing was before the Water Resources Board. People had seen me walking back there with binoculars and asked if I happened to have a list of birds. Of course I did! During my testimony, when I mentioned having seen American Bitterns at the beaver pond on several occasions, people on the WR Board stiffened. When? What months of the year? Calling? Where exactly on the pond and wetlands? One member of the Board explained to the gathering that bitterns are very sensitive to light pollution. His follow-up questions to the contractor focused on porch lights, spot lights, and yard lights.
>> Everything ended with a compromise: the house farthest from the wetlands could remain but only with mitigation in the form of a row of cedars and a change in outdoor lighting, but the other house had to be either moved or removed. It was a financial disaster for the builder, who ended up having to dismantle the large dwelling and move it piece by piece.
>> The beaver pond had faced an earlier threat: several hundred planned "housing units" in the adjacent field. That too ended in a compromise. There are a dozen or so houses clustered at one end and the rest of the area is owned by that development and open for non-motorized travel.
>> Today we visited the beaver pond, as we often do, and listened to - and twice saw! - an American Bittern. We also saw and heard so much more. The pond and wetlands are a wonderful resource for wildlife and humans alike!
>> Here's the whole list from today's walk: https://ebird.org/checklist/S68491058
>> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 16:28:40 -0400
> From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
> Subject: Re: The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ...
>
> On 2020-05-06 12:49, Susan Elliott wrote:
>> A great message about the importance of bird records.
>>
>> Sue Elliott
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 6, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... is back!
>>> Years ago, two houses were built overlooking the Jericho Center beaver
>>> pond, both too close and one actually in wetland. A neighbor
>>> complained. The contractor hadn't applied for or received necessary
>>> permits. Legal things moved slowly and the houses were completely done
>>> before there were hearings. One hearing was before the Water Resources
>>> Board. People had seen me walking back there with binoculars and asked
>>> if I happened to have a list of birds. Of course I did! During my
>>> testimony, when I mentioned having seen American Bitterns at the
>>> beaver pond on several occasions, people on the WR Board stiffened.
>>> When? What months of the year? Calling? Where exactly on the pond and
>>> wetlands? One member of the Board explained to the gathering that
>>> bitterns are very sensitive to light pollution. His follow-up
>>> questions to the contractor focused on porch lights, spot lights, and
>>> yard lights.
>>> Everything ended with a compromise: the house farthest from the
>>> wetlands could remain but only with mitigation in the form of a row of
>>> cedars and a change in outdoor lighting, but the other house had to be
>>> either moved or removed. It was a financial disaster for the builder,
>>> who ended up having to dismantle the large dwelling and move it piece
>>> by piece.
>>> The beaver pond had faced an earlier threat: several hundred planned
>>> "housing units" in the adjacent field. That too ended in a compromise.
>>> There are a dozen or so houses clustered at one end and the rest of
>>> the area is owned by that development and open for non-motorized
>>> travel.
>>> Today we visited the beaver pond, as we often do, and listened to -
>>> and twice saw! - an American Bittern. We also saw and heard so much
>>> more. The pond and wetlands are a wonderful resource for wildlife and
>>> humans alike!
>>> Here's the whole list from today's walk:
>>> https://ebird.org/checklist/S68491058
>>> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
> Definitely yes!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 16:38:52 -0400
> From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
> Subject: Re: The Bird That Helped Save a Swamp ...
>
> Hi, Pat – I hope you are staying well and safe during this very unusual
> spring! I’m so glad the virus didn’t break out last October or November,
> when we in the north country would have several dark and cold months
> ahead of us.
> Maeve
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 16:42:37 -0400
> From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
> Subject: apologies
>
> I responded too fast to two notes, and ended up sending the messages to
> the whole listserv. Sorry.
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 17:03:37 -0400
> From: Marcia Baker <bakermlb...>
> Subject: FOY Catbird
>
> Just arrived in Brownsville to snack on suet.
>
> Marcia
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 17:41:40 -0400
> From: Ann Curran <acurran802...>
> Subject: Burlington birds
>
> Spending more time walking the neighborhood, I'm rewarded with more of the
> Old North End birds, familiar and returning. Last week was the first time
> I've seen a Common Raven here, complaining while being chased out of the
> neighborhood by a dive-bombing crow. White-throated and Chipping Sparrows,
> and flickers have brightened gloomy days.
>
> But the Bird of the Week is a Northern Mockingbird that has been in one of
> the cemeteries on Pomeroy Street for at least four days. Only heard him
> sing one day so far.
>
> I wish we had bluebirds, grouse and hermit thrushes, but as so many of us
> on the list have discovered, there's always something to discover on your
> local patch.
>
> Thanks to all of you for your posts,
>
> Ann Curran
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 17:49:35 -0400
> From: Julie Filiberti <vtfiliberti...>
> Subject: Re: Hair raising tale to share
>
> In the past I’ve seen chickadees stealing the dog’s fur from a brush left on my porch. This year I brushed my dog and filled up a suet feeder with the hair and placed it conspicuously on a stake in my front yard. So far I’ve seen both a White-breasted Nuthatch and a Phoebe taking it away for nesting. She’s a soft puppy so there are going to be some cozy nestlings!
> Julie
> Fairfax
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 9:15 AM, Walter Medwid <wmedwid...> wrote:
>>
>> With my hair and beard growing out of control it was time for drastic
>> action so my wife got out the electric shears and in moments the problem
>> was addressed. The residue of white hair was left on the lawn thinking it
>> might be of interest to nesting birds. This morning while heading out to do
>> chores in the midst of the white pile was a chickadee loading up its bill
>> with a carefully aligned wad of my locks. Recycling at its best.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 16:12:00 -0400
> From: Sue <2birdvt...>
> Subject: [SPAM?:*******] - White-throats
>
> Today white-throated sparrows were at the suet, a first for me observing that.
> Sue Wetmore
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:24:54 -0400
> From: Sarah Fellows <towanda2...>
> Subject: Rusty blackbirds!
>
> The trail off of Tracy road in south hero was very busy today.
> First off, two proud Canada geese had to help their brand new fluff balls over a log in the swamp. It was adorable. Lots and lots of yellow rumpled warblers twittering away amongst all the grackles and red winged blackbirds . A redstart came right up to look at me and showed himself off.Then a flock of at least 7 rusty blackbirds sang away ,trying to outdo the grackles. It was hard to count as they chased each other around among the red wings and grackles.Then , to top it off ,right past the heron rookery, the great horned owl was hanging with its kids in the nest, looking really proud.
> WOw!
>
> Sally Fellows
> Williston
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 21:07:17 -0400
> From: Charlie Teske <cteske140...>
> Subject: Re: Hair raising tale to share
>
> And I was about to report a first NEK sighting of white-whiskered puffbird! Maybe next time.
>
>
>
> On Wed, 6 May 2020 17:49:35 -0400, Julie Filiberti <vtfiliberti...> wrote:
>
> In the past I’ve seen chickadees stealing the dog’s fur from a brush left on my porch. This year I brushed my dog and filled up a suet feeder with the hair and placed it conspicuously on a stake in my front yard. So far I’ve seen both a White-breasted Nuthatch and a Phoebe taking it away for nesting. She’s a soft puppy so there are going to be some cozy nestlings!
> Julie
> Fairfax
>
>> On May 6, 2020, at 9:15 AM, Walter Medwid wrote:
>>
>> With my hair and beard growing out of control it was time for drastic
>> action so my wife got out the electric shears and in moments the problem
>> was addressed. The residue of white hair was left on the lawn thinking it
>> might be of interest to nesting birds. This morning while heading out to do
>> chores in the midst of the white pile was a chickadee loading up its bill
>> with a carefully aligned wad of my locks. Recycling at its best.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of VTBIRD Digest - 5 May 2020 to 6 May 2020 (#2020-119)
> ***********************************************************
 
Join us on Facebook!