Date: 5/5/20 4:58 pm
Subject: Blue-winged Teal breeding in Macon County, NC!
Barbara McRae e-mailed me today, with 2 photos (that cannot be attached),
that she had been seeing adult Blue-winged Teals at a wetland near the
Little Tennessee River in Macon County. Today, she photographed a female
with 7 ducklings, and also the adult male. I hope she uploads photos to the
CBC Photo Gallery, or to an eBird list. If not, I have forwarded the
message to Josh Southern, for the Chat Briefs for the Files.

This I think is a first confirmed nesting of Blue-winged Teal in NC in a
decade or more, and a first for the mountains. It used to nest
occasionally on the Outer Banks. However, a few "fluke" breeding records
have been noted in both Carolinas in the last 40 years (from the Chat
database):

Davis, Ricky. 2003. Briefs for the files. Chat 67:148–155
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/chat/issues/2003/v67n4briefs_summer_2003.pdf__;!!OToaGQ!4TvHPY5dICSptzIrE4YuDfS8VRCVbm4USXZONAcg-ZherSKm04_1a8Js7V_5RjqBqXs$ >
(All dates Summer 2003, unless otherwise noted)
BLUE-WINGED TEAL: A noteworthy nesting record came from the Savannah Spoil
Site, SC this summer with two different broods of Blue-winged Teal, a
species found breeding in the state only a handful of times. A female with
eight young was seen June 13 and a female with two young was found June 27
(Steve Calver).

Davis, Ricky. 1998. Briefs for the files. Chat 62:187–199
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/chat/issues/1998/v62n4briefs_spring_1998.pdf__;!!OToaGQ!4TvHPY5dICSptzIrE4YuDfS8VRCVbm4USXZONAcg-ZherSKm04_1a8Js7V_5L5-y2IU$ >
(All Dates Spring 1998)
BLUE-WINGED TEAL: A first Forsyth County, NC, breeding record was
established when a pair was at a nest with four eggs during late April
(Ramona Snavely et. al.) They were seen to abandon the eggs, and
surprisingly Mallards and Canada Geese were seen incubating the eggs later!
Another first local breeding record was of a female with three young near
Pauline, SC, May 8 (Lyle Campbell).

LeGrand, Harry E., Jr.. 1983. Briefs for the files. Chat 47:26–32
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/chat/issues/1983/v47n1briefs_spring_summer_1982.pdf__;!!OToaGQ!4TvHPY5dICSptzIrE4YuDfS8VRCVbm4USXZONAcg-ZherSKm04_1a8Js7V_5Hu0VOyc$ >
(All dates 1982)
BLUE-WINGED TEAL: Perhaps the first breeding record for inland North
Carolina was established at Beaverdam Reservoir on 12 June, when Dick Brame
flushed a female with seven young.

Legrand, Harry E., Jr.. 1981. Briefs for the files. Chat 45:19–24
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/chat/issues/1981/v45n1briefs_summer_1980.pdf__;!!OToaGQ!4TvHPY5dICSptzIrE4YuDfS8VRCVbm4USXZONAcg-ZherSKm04_1a8Js7V_5c4J5J28$ >
(All dates 1980 unless otherwise indicated)
BLUE-WINGED TEAL: A nesting of this species was noted near Fairplay,
Anderson County, S.C., during the summer (fide Stanlee Miller), and John
Fussell had a nesting record (five young plus adults) at Brant Island, in
Fort Macon State Park, N.C., in June. A male was unusual at Huntington
Beach State Park, S.C., on 12 June (P.J. Crutchfield, Kevin Mason), and
seven were very early at Jordan Reservoir on 2 July (Bob Lewis).

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!