Date: 5/3/20 2:41 pm
Subject: Re: Wake County Swainson's Warblers
On May 2, Harry LeGrand said the following: " One Swainson's is
seldom if ever going to be within hearing range of another, at least
certainly not within about 75-100 yards, as in the case here."

-- I cannot speak to Swainson's Warbler habits in the North Carolina
Piedmont, but that statement is most untrue if applied to Swainson's
Warblers in Lowcountry South Carolina. Especially early in their
breeding season before the pecking order gets worked out.

I have seen (and heard) two males chase each other NUMEROUS times and
have seen well-spaced "conga lines" of 3 and once 4 birds in prime
sought-after habitat.

In the mountains, I have also seen two male Swainson's Warblers fairly
close to each other - facing off and working on territorial boundaries
in thickets along the Green River in Polk County, NC.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2

"These days I prefer to hunt with a camera. A good photograph demands
more skill from the hunter, better nerves and more patience than the
rifle shot." -- Bror Blixen