Date: 5/3/20 10:12 am
From: Jon Barnett <jrb4jc...>
Subject: [IBLE] FOY Western Tanager
My FOY Black-headed Grosbeak hasn’t made an appearance yet – maybe today? But I was DELIGHTED to wake up to my FOY Western Tanager sitting outside my bedroom window.
Did I ever mention that I believe we should change the State bird for Idaho to the Western Tanager? – for 2 reasons:

1. Idaho would have it’s own unique State bird – ie., no longer share a State bird with another State, and more importantly…
2. The Western Tanager is the only bird I know of that is historically noted as DISCOVERED in Idaho – by Lewis & Clark in their expedition.

If I am incorrect, please correct me. But if this group got behind a drive to change the State bird, could we make it happen? I don’t know if that is possible, but I’m throwing it out there… 😊

Enjoy this beautiful Spring day! Jonathan, HSB