Date: 5/2/20 5:59 pm
Subject: Re: Wake County Swainson's Warblers
I am seeing a few reports on eBird of TWO Swainson's Warblers singing along
the Neuse today. I was there this morning, hearing and seeing the SINGLE
singing bird as our group headed downriver around 745, and again just the
one bird coming back around 1030. The other bird singing at bridges 288
and 289 is a Louisiana Waterthrush, not a second Swainson's. (I note a
few of these lists don't even list Louisiana Waterthrush; today, there were
about 4-5 singing LA Waterthrushes along the greenway for about 2 miles
downriver of the parking lot; but just one Swainson's Warbler.)

Swainson's Warbler are very strongly territorial and charge a song of
another bird, as witnessed by the many times over the years I and others
have played tapes. So, if there ever were a second singing bird within
hearing range of another, one would have driven off the other
immediately. One Swainson's is seldom if ever going to be within hearing
range of another, at least certainly not within about 75-100 yards, as in
the case here.

So -- eBird editors, there is/was only ONE singing Swainson's Warbler along
this trail today (May 2). Of course, there could be a female nearby, but
there are not TWO singing birds within earshot of each other. That
probably also applies to yesterday's report of 2 singing birds as well.

But -- yes, there IS indeed a Swainson's Warbler there, singing very close
to the greenway trail, and you might well be able to see him without the
use of a tape. He is clearly on territory. Thanks to Eddie Owens for
finding and reporting the bird yesterday.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 9:22 AM Eddie Owens <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> I did some early morning birding before work, visiting in the
> southeastern part of the county, parking at Mial Plantation Rd parking lot
> (it's an eBird hotspot), and hiking to the Johnston Co. line. My target
> bird was Swainson's Warbler. eBird tools indicated this might be a good
> place and time for that bird.
>
> I encountered at least two birds, possibly a third one (but it was so far
> up a tributary in the woods, I couldn't hear it well). Location details for
> the birds are in my report:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S68174645__;!!OToaGQ!9legjNqziW1Nh2etPv0hVXqOsMYDfgwWHn7xAJ4QFp4jZabtAWMtQNUc3QpkPvPHOB0$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S68174645__;!!OToaGQ!-mznbKP2xAzBLbNmosCLV60OlsXfMWcUIG_PweCzBdS1qOnoTBgJkBIBKdAPgKBmEm8$>.
> I think they might hang around for a day or two.
>
> Happy Birding,
> Eddie Owens
> Cary, NC

Join us on Facebook!