Date: 5/2/20 7:44 am
Subject: Wells W. Cooke died March 30, 1916--migration dates for Bent's L. H.

With so many comments on migrants in Carolinabirds, I (unnaturally) looked into dates/places for Yellow Rail on Ebird. Found the father of cooperative records of migration, a man who had a wide range of productive work. Died too soon, just after being shown swans in DC, of pneumonia; strangely, that winter had a doubling of illness and deaths from the "grip"(pe).---I wonder if that was a preview of the 1918 Spanish flu. Who knows? And who knows which birders/ornithologists/naturalists are now dying too soon.

Search online for his impressive obituary by Palmer on SORA. Then follow the trail of obits of Palmer (started and restarted Audubon and National Audubon, plus wildlife laws), which was written by a man who then died in Chapel Hill (of all places) after retiring from work on insects, all three men having worked with the Biological Survey (Fish and Wildlife Service). (Wikipedia provides shorter versions than obits in The Auk, the Cooke obit quite detailed, almost a biography.)

How did the agriculture and birdwatching groups work together from 1880 to 1950 back then? The bird people the handmaidens of the farming lobby?
Continual emphasis on all the weed seeds and insects eaten by birds.
Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

I do not have time for e-mail. Nor, I think, do you. Try calling 252-308-3443---good luck with that.

Join us on Facebook!