Date: 5/1/20 8:14 am
Subject: Re: Yellow Rail, Mecklenburg County
Congrats to both of you. That is completely insane. Huge respect for Martina’s reflexes with the camera!

Chris Hill
Conway, SC
On Apr 30, 2020, at 6:58 PM, Matt Janson <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:

Hello C-birders,
This morning I decided to check a nearby field (formerly part of the Charlotte Golf Links) that has been graded for development into townhomes, condos, strip malls, what have you, all things that of course we already have in abundance here in Mecklenburg County. For now some grass has been growing in this area and there are several puddles that have been attracting some locally interesting shorebirds (for the Piedmont) such as Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, and Pectoral Sandpiper. With last night's storm I decided to walk around in the field area today and at about 6:55 am was extremely surprised to flush a Yellow Rail out of some very short grass and saw it land about 40 feet away in some taller grass. The white in the secondaries immediately gave the bird away and I have seen hundreds of Yellow Rails in flight in Louisiana thanks to my role as a festival facilitator at the annual Yellow Rails & Rice Festival in Jennings. The rail flushed perhaps an hour later again in the presence of several other local birders (where we practiced safe social distancing). Martina Nordstrand incredibly got a photograph of the bird in flight during this flush (!!!!), which can be seen here on our eBird checklist: Link<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2Furldefense.com*2Fv3*2F__https*3A*2F*2Febird.org*2Fchecklist*2FS68097281__*3B!!OToaGQ!5x6dvkVr2ekKk8ivlMMIS-ufbpe88hAW4xDvDJmYH_VhisYBOHic70Wb-A4MwSjpelU*24&data=02*7C01*7Cchill*40coastal.edu*7C57e475e23289414b7cca08d7ed5a208b*7Cbf1f856b8ef84e52be9387d3c3622797*7C0*7C0*7C637238843686473662&sdata=LBFhSLr2qeoj8z59K1wSK70ckyxby4j3mQ1PasCuxu8*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUl!!OToaGQ!83THMAxEi-RNLHlRusM47BHkGz1v-Mu2lwyEEg4gSPSPxWvhtXV-WWDOFkR3nvr2NyI$ >.
Certainly a noteworthy record for the Piedmont, if not the state.
Happy (and safe) Birding!
Matt Janson
Charlotte, NC

Join us on Facebook!