Date: 4/30/20 6:59 pm
From: Brenna <dbgaldenzi...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Time to take bird feeders down for the season
Taking in feeders at night doesn't work because bears are attracted to the
spilled seed. Their sense of smell is extraordinary. Fish & Wildlife asks
people to take down bird feeders for the season as of April 1st. Once a
bear habituates to a property and sees it as an easy food source, it places
the bear in danger. Wardens deal with a lot of complaints this time of year
from people regarding bears and too often this is the reason. Other bear
attractants that are problematic are compost that's not treated with brown
material, chickens that are not properly fenced and garbage not secured.

Brenna

Brenna Galdenzi
*President*
*Protect Our Wildlife **POW *

*A Vermont Non Profit Organization*

*www.ProtectOurWildlifeVT.org <http://www.ProtectOurWildlifeVT.org>*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Protect-Our-Wildlife-POW/593887230746087>

*Only if we understand can we care. Only if we care will we help. Only if
we help shall they be saved.*
~Jane Goodall

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:19 PM Eugenia Cooke <euge24241...> wrote:

> We take our feeders in every evening as soon as the late feeding birds are
> finished. We hang them back out early in the morning. If we forget, as we
> do once or twice a season we often get bear feeder destruction in our
> Rutland back yard. But the daytime feeders offer delightful backyard
> birding.
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020, 7:00 PM alison wagner <alikatofvt...> wrote:
>
> > Another reason to not feed birds this time of year...it causes them to
> > congregate and potentially expose themselves to conjunctivitis (finches).
> > Think social distancing for birds.
> >
> > Just my too sense
> > Ali

Join us on Facebook!