Date: 3/25/20 8:08 pm
From: Andrew Birch via Groups.Io <andyrbirch=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Aids to learning bird sounds
Right now, one upside for anyone wanting to record nocturnal migrants is the noticeable decrease in noise pollution. My recordings are beautifully noise-free these days.

I know reliance on AI is dangerous but it can be really helpful to get you heading in the right direction. I'm constantly amazed by Merlin and iNat AI apps for visual recognition. For audio, Cornell has a Beta site (link below) which also does a remarkably good job of helping ID bird audio. I think the programmers have a European leaning (the AI maybe learned European birds first) so with poor recordings you will get some crazy results but if you can get over the initial confusion of why you have Bluethroats and Greenshanks regularly migrating over your house every fall, often its 2nd or 3rd choice will be correct. And for good, clear recordings, it seems to do a very good job with its #1 choice. Then you can go over to xeno-canto to compare.
https://birdnet.cornell.edu/api/
Best, Andy BirchLos Feliz

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 6:41:44 PM PDT, Mark Hunter <funkshn...> wrote:

Apropos of "too late to start young," my ability to identify calls is improving each year. But I figure that by the time I gain a competent knowledge of local bird calls, my hearing will  fail.
Mark HunterLa Canada
On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> wrote:

Chris,
I usually have two pieces of advice for those wanting to become more proficient at recognizing bird sounds.
First.... Start young.  Learning bird sounds is akin to learning languages, and is best accomplished when one listens and learns from early childhood.
Second (recognizing that it is a bit late for many of us to start young)....  Get out into the field. Listen carefully, track down unfamiliar sounds, take notes, make recordings (easy to do with common cell phone built-in features or downloadable apps), review, challenge yourself.
Beyond that, I echo the recommendation to make use of Xeno-Canto -- for nearly all North American birds you can find dozens to hundreds of crowd-sourced recordings of various common call notes as well as songs. If you think you heard such-and-such species, compare your recollection (or better yet, recording) of what you heard with the many examples available in Xeno-Canto.
Finally, I can't speak highly enough of Nathan Pieplow's "Peterson Field Guide to Bird Sounds of Western North America." Once you make the commitment to learn to interpret sonograms (frequency vs. time graphs) you can learn a huge amount about the vocal repertoires of all western species using this book.  WIth or without the book, you can also learn a lot from the companion web site: http://earbirding.com/blog/  which is mainly a series of blogs about interesting topics regarding bird sounds, sound ID issues, etc.
Kimball
Kimball L. GarrettOrnithology Collections ManagerNatural History Museum of Los Angeles County900 Exposition Blvd.Los Angeles, CA 90007 <USA213-763-3368kgarrett...>

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 12:56 PM Chris Spurgeon <chris...> wrote:

I am terrible…TERRIBLE…at identifying birds by sound. During this time of reduced travel and reduced organized birding events I thought I’d put some effort into improving my birding by ear skills. I have the old Peterson Field Guides Birding By Ear CDs, and will begin blasting those through the house 24/7, like they were the government newsfeeds in “1984”, but I was wondering if anyone here has other recommendations of aids to learning bird vocalizations.

Thanks!

Chris Spurgeon
La Crescenta

-=-=-