Date: 3/25/20 7:21 pm
From: Joe Luedtke <onaturalist...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: WSO guidance on Governor's "Safer at Home" order - Lion's Den
Like all of you I want to be outside, I'd like to go to my favorite birding spots, but I'd challenge all of us to just not adhere to the Order, but the intent of it. We need to limit interactions with each other and limit travel. Driving from place to place dramatically increases the chance of spread.
For me, I'm limiting myself to walking in my neighborhood park in the early morning or evening when fewer people are out but the wildlife is. I was able to see a few Woodcock doing their flight displays and peenting around me this evening while able to still stay at least a 100 feet away from the closest person. I will, unfortunately, not be driving to any birding spots for the next few weeks. I'm going to miss some migrants, maybe miss taking some nice photos, but in my own way, I may just help this crisis a tiny, tiny bit.

Sincerely,

Joe Luedtke
Wauwatosa, WI
Milwaukee County

On 3/25/20, 8:49 PM, "<wisbirdn-bounce...> on behalf of Mariette Nowak" <wisbirdn-bounce...> on behalf of <mmnowak...> wrote:

My daughter-in-law drove to Lion’s Den in Ozaukee County today with her sons. She saw many, many cars there, so she turned around and went home.

I have mixed feelings about closing parks, etc. But it does seem like it would be best to avoid crowded birding spots. So I’m writing simply to let others know that they may wish to avoid Lion’s Den, since it is so crowded.

Mariette Nowak
East Troy, WI.