Date: 3/25/20 5:09 pm
From: Zoey Greenberg <zoeytalon...>
Subject: HawkCount 3.25
Greetings from the Mountain!

Today was a short yet immensely rewarding day. I had a Golden Eagle fly by
nearly eye level with golden nape glowing, as well as the first Osprey of
the season. Watching that M-shaped profile made me think of the ocean.

In honor of our wonderful audio-themed talk this evening, and to offer you
an auditory treat for your collective kindness, here is the link to a bird
opera. This was sent to me by a European friend of mine who studies raptor
movement ecology. He is on day 13 of quarantine in Spain, and has now
become quite skilled at finding avian entertainment. Enjoy.
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXD4h5w8D8
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXD4h5w8D8> *

Zoey

*Tussey Mountain Hawk Watch State College, Pennsylvania, USA Daily Raptor
Counts: Mar 25, 2020
------------------------------------------------------------------- Species
Day's Count Month Total Season Total ------------------ -----------
-------------- -------------- Black Vulture 0 0 0 Turkey Vulture 0 45 52
Osprey 1 1 1 Bald Eagle 0 26 26 Northern Harrier 0 4 4 Sharp-shinned Hawk 0
22 23 Cooper's Hawk 0 8 8 Northern Goshawk 0 0 0 Red-shouldered Hawk 0 23
30 Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0 Red-tailed Hawk 0 103 107 Rough-legged Hawk 0 0
0 Golden Eagle 1 107 110 American Kestrel 0 14 14 Merlin 0 3 3 Peregrine
Falcon 0 0 0 Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0 Unknown Buteo 0 4 5 Unknown Falcon 0 0
0 Unknown Eagle 0 1 1 Unknown Raptor 0 7 7 Total: 2 368 391
Observation start time: 13:00:00 Observation end time: 17:00:00 Total
observation time: 3.25 hours Official Counter: Zoey Greenberg Observers:
Weather: Cloudy with a residual fog bank for most of the 3-hour count. Wind
light and variable trending from ESE. Temperature range 40-41F (4.3-4.9C).
Raptor Observations: Golden Eagle Migrant: Adult 14:31 9 Turkey Vultures
Non-raptor Observations: Non-raptor Migrants: 8 Canada Geese, 1 Song
Sparrow, 2 American Goldfinches Non-raptor Locals: @ least 1 Pileated
Woodpecker, 1 male Downy Woodpecker, 2 Black-capped Chickadees, 2 Crows
Predictions: Cloudy early with partial sunshine expected late. Slight
chance of a rain shower. High around 60F (16C) . Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph
(8-16 kph).
Report submitted by Zoey Greenberg (<zoeytalon...>
<zoeytalon...>) Tussey Mountain Hawk Watch information may be found
at: tusseymountainspringhawkwatch.org/
<http://tusseymountainspringhawkwatch.org/> More site information at
hawkcount.org <http://hawkcount.org>:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=438