Date: 3/25/20 4:03 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 Mar 2020) 10 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (1): Just me again in the very bad weather
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 3,000-2,800 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 39 - 43F, Winds ENE @ 5 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 2-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (15) and Turkey Vultures (15).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On March 19, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog.” This is NOT THESE reports you
get from HawkCount. Rather, it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our
upcoming schedule and the County year bird list, etc. If you aren’t
receiving it and are a regular subscriber, look in your spam – a few
servers send it there. [go figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,”
featuring the county species list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll
have to follow your provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking
it as “not spam” or it will always go there. It usually comes out every
Thursday.
<BR><BR>
I visited Marsh Creek Lake at dawn on this rainy day with very strong east
winds, hoping for something strange to drop in. [I guess, other than me!]
A couple of Osprey and a Bald Eagle were working the lake. Eastern Phoebe,
Horned Grebes, Bufflehead, Ruddy Ducks, Ring-billed Gull, Common Loon [my
FOY[, and Great Blue Herons were doing the same, each in their own way. I
guess I was too, as I swept my window-mounted scope back and forth.
<BR><BR>
On my way to Bucktoe, a stop at Wilson Road Pond yielded only Eastern
Meadowlark, Black Ducks, and American Kestrel. While at the pond on
Lamborntown Road a Merlin swept in and snatched a Grackle, quickly plucked
off the feathers, and consumed it as I watched [see picture]. So, one less
Grackle. An American Coot and Hooded Merganser were there on the pond and
escaped the Merlin’s wrath. [too big]
<BR><BR>
At Bucktoe the winds increased, but certainly not the birds. It was a
rough day out here. A very few Ospreys, Red-shouldered Hawks, and a Bald
Eagle came by. We are in a cycle of other day being a washout. That’s
not good!
<BR><BR>
After the watch I went to New Garden WTP [private] where again, there were
Wood Ducks, Northern Shoveler [see picture], Ring-necked Ducks, Bufflehead,
and Ruddy Ducks.
<BR><BR>
I spent the evening writing at Chambers Lake where there were Pied-billed
Grebe, Ring-necked Ducks, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, Bufflehead,
Long-tailed Duck, Great Blue Herons, Osprey, Belted Kingfisher, and Eastern
Phoebe.
<BR><BR>
Elsewhere, Fox Sparrow and Wilson’s Snipe were seen at Bryn Coed
Preserve. [MH]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Eastern Phoebe and White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 0.09; Steps:
219; Floors: 2.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 38; this season:
65
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks mostly sunny with light southerly winds
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Apr. 30, 9am thru 3pm.
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: