Date: 3/25/20 3:29 pm
From: Barry Haas <bhaas...>
Subject: Cancellation of 2020 Arkansas Audubon Society Halberg Ecology Camp and Advanced Camp
To all Arkansas Audubon Society Halberg Ecology Camp Supporters:

The Arkansas Audubon Society Board has canceled the two Halberg Ecology Camp sessions scheduled for this June. The Advanced Camp in July for third-year campers was also canceled.

Given the ongoing COVID-19 health threat along with the impossibility of trying to recruit 5th and 6th grade youth in this environment to attend the June camp sessions, it became clear that cancellation was the only responsible option. That said, it was with great sadness when the decision was finalized since so many organizations and individuals give generously of their time and money to ensure the youth ecology camps continued success. The June Halberg sessions would have been our 41st year. Our fervent hope is that one year from now we will be in full recruitment mode for 2021 Halberg Ecology Camp students.

The Halberg Ecology Camp is incredibly fortunate to have so many supporters who help us fund this hands-on ecology camp with two instructors teaching a group of 8-10 youth. This level of intensity is expensive, but also integral to achieving such impactful nature learning in just four full days of classes. Campers get a taste of ornithology, botany, herpetology, geology, entomology, mammalogy and aquatic biology. We’re proud of our dedicated corps of instructors, camp director and others who have made the Halberg Ecology Camp part of their lives for multiple decades in some cases.

We have already received several donations for scholarships and tuition assistance, and plan to offer refunds to those organizations and individuals since there will be no camp sessions this summer. Any organizations or individuals who decline refunds of past donation or wish to make donations now with the knowledge those funds can only be used in a future year will be greatly appreciated. We understand current financial difficulties in national, state and local economies affect all of us. Some organizations and individuals will need those funds for themselves.

If you have any questions regarding the cancellation, please feel free to let us know. We will do our best to answer your questions and concerns.

Barry Haas
Ecology Camp Treasurer

Join us on Facebook!