Date: 3/25/20 3:17 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamburg Hawk Watch (25 Mar 2020) 1271 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1271 2041 2041

Observation start time: 07:15:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7.75 hours

Official Counter: Alec Humann

Observers:

Weather:
The skies started off overcast with high cirrus clouds. Clearing from the
north began shortly after 10am (EST) and raptor migration picked up
accordingly. The flight ebbed and flowed several times during the count
period but by 2pm (EST) moderate to heavy cloud cover moved in,
temperatures dropped and the flight ended.

Raptor Observations:
A really nice day with great raptor variety and good numbers for this early
in the season. Highlights included a second-year Golden Eagle low and right
overhead in the 11-12 hour, 4 Rough-legged Hawks (three light morphs and an
intermediate), and many adult Red-shouldereds.

Non-raptor Observations:
Not a lot of avian movement today surprisingly. I had a single and a group
of three Great Blue Herons early in the morning, one flock of 7 Cormorants,
2 Eastern Meadowlarks, 1 Tree Swallow and a handful of Rusty Blackbirds as
birds of interest throughout the day.

Predictions:
The weather looks promising with temps maxing out on the low 50's with SW
winds 15-25. Late day showers predicted may push birds ahead of them. As
long as we get some sun I would expect a flight similar to today's. An
observer nearby had a Northern Goshawk over his house today!
Report submitted by Alec Humann (<alechumann...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=364