Date: 3/25/20 2:37 pm
From: JULIANA <juliana.manoliu...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] A Thrush Seen At SCVWD On 3/25/2020
To add to Frank's thrush,

I saw one today 3-25 at the West end of Shoreline Lake in Mountain View;
it is backlit and can't see it's tail, but I called it a hermit

On an unrelated subject, on 3-26 there will be aerial spraying for (or
against) mosquitos along the Bay in Santa Clara county and all venues
near the Bay will be closed

Juliana Manoliu

On 3/25/2020 1:31 PM, Frank Vanslager via Groups.Io wrote:
> All:
>
> At the Santa Clara Valley Water District I photographed an adult
> thrush which did not seem to have black-enough spots to be a Hermit
> Thrush.  It was in an open tree, and Pete Dunne says the Swainson's
> Thrush is "... an arboreal hunter, spending a greater percentage of
> its foraging time in the mid-forest layer with its feet off the forest
> floor (but also hunts on the ground)."   And I saw no red tail as the
> bird quickly flew away to the north.  However, I'm less than reliable
> when it comes to Red/Green.
>
> Swainson's Thrushes should be passing through on their spring
> migration to the north, and others with greater ability to see red
> should have a reasonable chance to ID them.
>
> Frank Vanslager

View/Reply Online (#21303): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/21303
-=-=-
-=-=-