Date: 3/25/20 1:59 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] A Thrush Seen At SCVWD On 3/25/2020
Frank

That looks fine for a Hermit Thrush based on the spotting pattern and face pattern. Swainson’s should not be here for quite some time, they are among the latest of migrants. As well, the pattern of spotting below is unlike our western (Russet-backed) Swainson’s. Note also that coastal Hermit Thrushes can have very dull rusty on the tail, and it varies depending on what population you are talking about. In winter and migration we have various different Hermit Thrushes passing through here, all West Coast birds, but they vary in their appearance depending on the latitude they breed at.

Good birding!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>