Date: 3/25/20 1:01 pm
From: Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Device and information to reduce bird kills by cats
I totally agree about keeping cats indoors!!! Years ago, I had a cat and
we kept her indoors except for a couple of times that we put her on a
harness and leash to go outdoors. Sadly for the birds, there are many cat
owners who will never keep their cat indoors, so this at least can offset
some of the damage that will be happening.

It was good to see that a scientific study was done on the effectiveness of
it, so we do not need to rely on the claims of the manufacturer or the
anecdotal notes from the cat owners.

I used to do wild Bird rehab at Alexander Lindsay Museum, and when you
picked up the birds who were listed as "Cat caught", it basically meant
that the birds would die in the next couple of days. So even the birds
that temporarily survive will usually die later in my experience. If the
collars could prevent many birds from getting caught in the first place,
that would be a big improvement.

Carol