Date: 3/25/20 9:19 am
From: Justin Baldwin <justin.wheeler.baldwin...>
Subject: NO SIGHTING – new raptor counting station in Colombia
While Broad-winged Hawks are but a few weeks away from Missouri
<http://www.columbia-audubon.org/birds-in-big-numbers-september-broad-winged-hawk-migration/>
on their spring migration journey, my friend Diego Solarte just concluded
counting 241,595 raptors, mostly Broad-winged and Swainson’s Hawks, over
the second week at a new field station near Ibagué, Colombia. His team has
recently started a new raptor counting station in a critical migratory
corridor of the central Andes, where many of our migratory raptors are
threatened by illegal hunting. Despite the global COVID-19 outbreak, they
have done almost three weeks of fieldwork. While the station is up and
running, they have yet to reach their campaign funding goal.

If you can, please consider donating to their GoFundMe campaign at the link
below.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/xrzme-conservation-of-migratory-raptors-in-colombia?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Many of our migratory birds in Missouri spend the wintering season in Latin
America, but bird conservation in Colombia is difficult and underfunded.
This project offers highly effective “bang-for-your-conservation-buck”: it
is a grassroots organization led by dedicated local birders and biologists,
and a few dollars go a long way, especially right now with the current
exchange rate.

And for a glimpse of the unreal numbers of birds they’ve been seeing, check
out one checklist from last week ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S66130019 ).

Thank you for reading.

Justin Baldwin,

St. Louis City

--

Justin Baldwin

PhD. Student

Botero Lab

Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences

Washington University in St. Louis

j <jimxx6...><wbaldwin...>

<justin.wheeler.baldwin...>

www.justinbaldwin.name