Date: 3/25/20 9:08 am
From: judisierra via Groups.Io <judisierra=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] New owner/moderator for East Bay Birds
Good guidelines. I would add if banding initials are used (IMO should be highly discouraged) that full name of the bird must be mentioned first. Also if for some reason you send out any other general messages you might mention that most current park closures are posted on Park agency, County's and/or cities, Park or Public health websites. Just from incidental reports here it seems some of the EBRPD parking lots are closed.

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 11:08:14 PM PDT, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists...> wrote:

Hello friends and fellow birders,

I am working with Mt. Diablo Audubon Society to assume some of the moderator responsibilities for the EBB-Sightings listserv.  I’m not sure if this is a temporary or permanent assignment, so we shall see how it goes.

As you probably have noticed, the listservs have seen declining use over the last several years, probably due to the rise of other social media communications and to the fragmented nature of the birding community in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. That decline has reversed sharply in the last few weeks! So let’s keep it going!  Now that we are all stuck at home on the internet, this is a good time to build some community bonds, even if it has to be done remotely for now.

In the next e-mail I will share with you a new set of common-sense rules and guidelines for the group.  Please feel free to reply to me privately if you have suggestions or additions that you think may be helpful.

And lastly, a few words about the current stay-at-home orders.  I would prefer that we not discuss and debate the orders any further.  As of today, folks are allowed to go outside for exercise provided that they are alone or with family members and are maintaining social distance. Authorities have been responding to the appearance of unsafe crowds by admonishing people to “stay close to home”.  You have the responsibility to decide for yourself what feels safe to you and what feels reasonable in light of a rapidly changing situation, where parks are closing and orders may change from day to day.  Stay at home if that feels best or go outdoors safely if that feels best. Let’s please keep this list focused on birds and not on policing one another.

I’m new at the list owner/moderator thing, so I may be a bit slow to address administrative problems, but I’ll try to learn quickly.  You can reach me privately at <amm.birdlists...> or <aaron.maizlish...>

For the birds!

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco/Emeryville