Date: 3/25/20 8:49 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Eur. Collared-Dove declines, Mourning Dove increases
For perhaps the past year and a half I've been noticing a clear DECLINE
in the number of Eurasian Collared-Doves here in the San Diego region,
and also during a couple visits to Santa Barbara, which I know well.
This is NOT to say that collared-doves aren't still a common sight and
fairly ubiquitous, but they are pretty clearly down in numbers from
their peak just a couple or a few years ago. A birder in Florida, the
early epicenter for this species in North America, who keeps track of
introduced/exotics species there says that he also thinks that ECDOs
have recently declined. This species also seemed to be colonizing most
of the large towns/small cities in southeast Alaska, but during the past
couple years they have largely disappeared. Local birders there
attribute at least part of the cause to Northern Goshawk
predation--something we can't use here in San Diego! But lots of folks
say have been saying for many years that Cooper's Hawk predation must be
fairly substantial.

If this (spotty) decline is real, this certainly is not the first time
that an introduced species quickly explodes in numbers and spreads, only
to then retract back to more "manageable" numbers or, in some cases,
seriously decline and even disappear. Time will tell with Eurasian
Collared-Doves.

And, while the collared-doves have dropped off somewhat, I have
concurrently noticed a major, substantial increase in the numbers of
Mourning Doves these past 18 months or so. Correlated?

--Paul Lehman, San Diego