Date: 3/25/20 6:46 am
From: LAIRD via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Birds plus NYC sighting
Hello;

I saw my FOY Osprey flying towards the Saugatuck River in Downtown Westport on Saturday; last night I did not realize I had photographed 2 osprey at the piling off Roton Point in Rowayton. I also saw a Pileated Woodpecker at Fodor Farm in the Brookside section of Norwalk.

I spotted an Adult Bald Eagle flying towards the Quinnipiac in Fair Haven Heights on Sunday. Also two loons (one changed to breeding plumage) at the East Grand Bridge there.

My friend in NYC was going to the Post Office; around Vesey St. she came across two dead birds the she described as being brown with long bills; she is not a birder (but a good observer). She realized they could not be Brown Thrashers. She did not take a photo as she was too shocked by the scene.

I sent her a photo of a Long-Billed Curlew as a joke; she said that was it! But I knew that couldn't be. My inner Merlin kept churning away and I finally decided upon the Willet! Possibly a window strike? Or could they have been attacked? She saw hawk-like birds hovering overhead.

Thanks,

Dana Laird

Rowayton