Date: 2/13/20 10:54 pm
From: Alfred Maley <alfredmaley...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Notes From Old Iberia - Campfire Wildlife
Last evening the cowman started a fire to burn some brush and tree trunks
near our residence and as it was a warm evening I decided to sit by the
“campfire” and listen for night sounds. As soon as the twilight waned the
Tawny Owls began to call. They’d been quiet recently and I thought the
“seca” that’s killing the cork oak trees had reduced their numbers, but
there were several taking advantage of the calm night to broadcast their
presence.

About an hour later two Eagle Owls began a short conversation, lasting only
about five minutes. It came from a direction where they had nested about a
decade ago, so in mid-March we’ll make an attempt to locate the nest, once
the eggs are sure to have hatched.

Finally, as I sat on a log by the fire I was startled by a noise right
next to me, something apparently moving away from the heat of the fire. The
flashlight revealed the Giant Toad, Bufo sp?, staring back at me with
obvious indignation, secure in his belief that his poison glands would
protect him. Many pets have learned the hard way not to bother them.

Al Maley
Hampstead, NH/Los Barrios, CA Spain