Date: 2/13/20 8:44 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: eBird animated maps of avian status & migration
I looked at a few of these animations, just for fun.

I checked species that have expanded their range like California Scrub Jay,
Bewick's Wren, and Black Phoebe. I note that there seems to be more
detections in December, probably CBC's.

I looked at Harris' Sparrow and Sprague's Pipit. They really make an
explosive move north, flare big in the breeding season, then DISAPPEAR in
late summer, before reappearing on their wintering grounds. Where are they
in August - September? Where are the observers?

Surf scoters seem to disappear in the winter. What's with that?

Just a few things I noticed in a quick look around.

Paul Sullivan

---------------

Date: Thu Feb 13 2020 21:12 pm
From: jack.williamson.jr AT gmail.com

Thank you. The animated maps are very informative especially for someone
(like me) who thinks a picture is worth a thousand words!!Jack
WilliamsonWest Linn, Oregon

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:16 PM John Pendleton <johnpend1...> wrote:

(apologies if not entirely Oregon-related, but certainly includes Oregon)

John PendletonSW Portland

News article, 2/12/2020:https://ebird.org/news/observa...

The animated maps:https://ebird.org/science/stat...

POST: Send your post to <obol...>