Date: 2/13/20 8:02 pm
From: James Speicher <0000011f2d18fdda-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: black vultures with red wing tags
I don't know many WV counties, but i can report a sighting on 1/26/2020 from Washington Co. MD across the river from Jefferson Co. WV:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63831092
as shown in the checklist:
A group of 3 were seen to engage in aerial combat possibly indicating competition for mating. This was a new behavior in my experience for vultures. One seemed to have a shoulder injury, but this may instead have been a red tag from a study being conducted on vultures locally.

The birds flew into Jefferson Co where i lost sight of them.  No possibility of getting a tag #, but i will report.

Jim SpeicherBroadRun/Burkittsville area[FR] Frederick County MDWA Co. MOS memberC&O count coordinator

On Thursday, February 13, 2020, 06:03:05 PM EST, James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> wrote:

Here's what I have learned about the black vultures with red wing tags that
we observed near Glen Lyn, VA on 12/27/2019.
K62 was banded 9/17/2019 near Anstead, Fayette County, WV and had hatched
in 2018.
L21 was banded 10/24/2019 near Peterstown, Monroe County, WV and had
hatched in 2019.
K87 was banded 10/17/2019 near Peterstown, Monroe County, WV and had
hatched in 2017 or earlier.
All of these birds were banded by Chad Neil, Elkins, WV.
What we recorded as L58 had not been used yet by the bander so we probably
misread the number.
A bander reported banding 44 black vultures in Monroe County, WV with
numbers between L00-43 and suggested that we misread the numbers. So L02
may have been one of those birds and L82 we must have misread.
If you see black vultures with red wing tags see if you can get the numbers
from the tags. With numbers report them to www.reportband.gov If you can't
get the number from the tag you can report it to <vulture.tag...>
Jim Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Join us on Facebook!