Date: 2/13/20 4:38 pm
From: <rcech...>
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] (Over)Certainty in eBird reports (Brooklyn Painted Bunting info)
I wasn't going to comment on this, even although Doug's post (and several
that followed) were excellent and thought-provoking.

But then Shai's comment came along, and that prodded me.

I sent some shots of the Jones Beach bird awhile back (not on eBird, so Doug
may not have seen them). I included the bunting along with a number of
other 'young males' in odd plumages that make the early winter period
interesting. By including the bunting in this post, it was clear I thought
it was a male, although I provided no justification.

What I didn't say was that I thought the bird was a young male because of
the bluish tone on its nape region. (Another birder, well known to you all,
came to the same conclusion at the time). This coloration was more visible
on site than in later photos, but I thought it still showed, see below. (I
did not know the ratio of young male vs. female northward strays at the
time, that's very interesting.)

But no, I didn't write that out in my post, because (1) it's a subtle and
mistakeable mark, and (2) because my own field experience with the species
is limited to occasional contacts here and in the SE, some long ago. Maybe I
should have said something, because these conversations are how group skills
develop, but experience suggests that care is required in engaging such
conversations on a listserve. (When all is said and done, it has been noted,
more will have been said than done.)

Apologies, Doug and Shai, for shirking citizen science responsibility. I
agree that where id ambiguities exist dialogue is preferable to check-boxes.
I also agree that we shouldn't be too stringent with one another on
listserve postings. as much of the error variance will come out in the
statistical wash (and some info is better than none) - although that
argument can cover a multitude of sins, and it only goes so far.

That's it, just a few thoughts,
Rick

https://rbc-pix.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-Trip/Jones-Beach