Date: 2/13/20 12:01 pm
From: <megascops.2014...> <megascops.2014...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Insect decline

A few suggestions on how we can easily make a big difference in our yards and patio gardens for insects and the birds that eat them are discussed in this article / podcast on a new book, Nature's Best Hope:
https://awaytogarden.com/how-conservation-starts-in-your-yard-doug-tallamy-on-natures-best-hope/
Mary Keitelman Hinsdale, MA
------ Original message------From: Andrea BeanDate: Thu, Feb 13, 2020 2:11 PMTo: Chris Heys;Cc: Massbird;Subject:Re: [MASSBIRD] Insect decline
Thanks, Chris, that is a great eye-opening article for anyone that doesn't realize what or why the decline is happening, but everyone needs to take action, even in a small way.  The implications are far reaching,,,,BUT,,,every birder on this site can have a positive impact on this environment by planting native bushes and plants in their yard, reduce lawn space, and plant more native trees.  We can make a huge difference in our tiny/medium/large yard areas that will have a positive trickle-up affect for the insects, birds, and wildlife.  It may be only your yard for now, but those seeds will be dispersed by wind or bird to take root someplace else.
Andrea BeanPeabody, MA

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:13 PM Chris Heys <chris.p.heys...> wrote:
I came across an article today which cites two interesting studies. The result have horrible implications and likely plays into the avian apocalypse we are witnessing.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/car-splatometer-tests-reveal-huge-decline-number-insects
Chris HeysJaffrey NH
Sent from my iPhone

--
Andrea“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of a difference you want to make.”
—Jane Goodall

Join us on Facebook!