Date: 2/13/20 8:51 am
From: David Booth <david...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] AWOL blackbirds
Charles, I had an interesting sequence of experiences last Thursday and Friday relative to your observation. I was working on my Parish Lists in Tangipahoa and St. Helena Parishes on Thursday. Apparently there was a lot of rain on Wednesday or Wednesday night as the streams, roadside ditches and fields were swollen and very wet on Thursday morning. I found many flocks of blackbirds some mixed and some not. There were many Rusty, C. Grackle, Redwing and some Brewer's. There were lots and lots of Robins and a few other Starlings etc. They were plentiful.

Apparently the standing water drains quickly, because on Friday most of the puddles and ditches were gone or much lower and the birds were not to be found anywhere except for a few Robins and Brewers. I traveled to most of the same locations with no findings of the Rusty or C. Grackles. It was mystifying.

I was wondering if the high water drove them to higher grounds (small towns and fields) and when their forested areas drained off, if they just returned to their normal haunts. Anywone else have observations along these lines?

David Booth