Date: 2/13/20 7:09 am
From: Chet McGaugh <chetmcgaugh...> [inlandcountybirds] <inlandcountybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Riverside County stuff
Trips with Bob, Mark, Tony, solo in the past week -- most enjoyable,

The ongoing duck show at NESS; 18 duck species on Feb 12, with Bob
McKernan, included Garganey, ~ dozen each of Surf Scoter and Red-breasted
Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes, Hooded Merganser, Blue-winged Teal ~ 500,
with Redheads, Northern Pintails, Northern Shovelers likely double+ that;
or I could say - uncountable.

Also at NESS, Neotropic Cormorant, Horned Grebe - 2, Reddish Egret - 2,
Laughing Gull, Western Gull, Vermilion Flycatcher and, in the uncountable
category - 1000 Bonaparte's Gulls, and (we didn't see) Black-headed Gull.

On Sunday, in inclement weather, Tony Metcalf and I led a San Bernardino
Valley Audubon trip to the San Jacinto Wildlife Area. Most impressive were
Bald Eagles - 10, the continuing juvenile Swainson's Hawk, Peregrine
Falcon, Tundra Swan - 3, a good assortment of shorebirds, included Dunlins
and Lesser Yellowlegs but we couldn't find Ruff.

Tony, Mark Chappell and I, made a quick, easy and successful afternoon run
down to French Valley Wildlife Area, Feb 8, to see the Rough-legged Hawk
perform. Lovely bird. Mark got stunning photos - what he does.

Feb 7, SJWA, I found a Bank Swallow in a migratory flock of Barn and Tree
Swallows -- a very early (record?) spring migrant. Speaking of swallows --
several Cliff Swallows (right on time) at NESS Feb 12.

Chet

Join us on Facebook!