Date: 2/13/20 5:32 am
From: Bob Grover <rgrover...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] (Over)Certainty in eBird reports (Brooklyn Painted Bunting info)
As I have been known to do, I am about to dig myself a hole here. This is an interesting discussion. My only caution is that we must all recognize ebird, as well as the CBC's, and similar efforts, for what they are: lightly vetted databases that are useful to academic researchers mainly due to their sheer volume, which tend to mask many of the errors that inevitably creep into the data. This is the definition of Citizen Science. Ebird isn't Science, or Nature, or any of the many highly peer-reviewed journals (and even they retract research papers on occasion), and will never be. let's all beware of the dangers of driving citizen scientists away from this great endeavor.

Bob Grover
West Islip

Per Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other Nondiscrimination statutes, Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. and its related companies will not discriminate on the grounds of race, color or national origin in the selection and retention of subconsultants, including procurement of materials and leases of equipment. Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. and its related companies will ensure that minorities will be afforded full opportunity to submit proposals and will not be discriminated against in consideration for an award. This communication and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity named as the addressee. It may contain information which is privileged and/or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or such recipient's employee or agent, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited and to notify the sender immediately.

ARCHIVES:
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/